New expansion tank

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Dougm, Sep 7, 2017.

1. Dougm

Dougm New Member

hi people, new to this forum . Just bought a new expansion tank for a Worcester si28 11. Assured this is the right on. However it appears to have two pipe fittings, one at the top and one at the bottom. Do I just blank one off as the water surely doesn't pass through or it wouldn't work.?

Thanks

2. Are you sure one of them isn't the air valve?

Any chance of a photo?

3. Dougm

Dougm New Member

Although this is not the actual one, this is what it's like. The air valve it next to it but on the front if you understand what I mean. The top of it is threaded on the inside of the collar

https://ibb.co/h2i9Rv

4. Sorry - no idea.

Hopefully a plumber will be along shortly.

PLUMBERS?!

5. Dougm

Dougm New Member

No problem, it was some sort of pressure release valve. separate from the one that you put air into the system with. Tank is in now and up and running. Thanks for your reply.

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  6. apritcha

apritcha Member

I fitted an external expansion tank a few months ago rather than taking the boiler off the wall. It also has an extra valve on the top and referring to the instructions it seems to be where the priming pressure is adjusted. My tank came ready set for 'standard' pressure and has been working fine with no adjustment.

7. Dougm

Dougm New Member

Hi Apritcha, yes your right, thats what it seemed to be, I also left well alone and just left the tank at standard pressure. I was lucky in the fact that my flue goes straight up so I had room to slide out my tank from behind the boiler but was still a bit of a struggle undoing and re tightening the pipes.