new extension - ceiling not level

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Thomas Kemp, Oct 16, 2016.

1. Thomas Kemp

Thomas Kemp New Member

Hi all, after some advice / perspective please.

we have had a new extension built and the ceiling is not level. it changes level by an inch over a 2m wide RSJ supported opening to the existing house, and is very obvious to me, it makes it look as though the RSJ itself is not level.

I've challenged our builder on it and he admits it is not level, the reason being that he plasterboarded the entire ceiling but left a section where the RSJ were required until he knocked through. building inspector then made him put metal plates to weld the RSJ's together which dropped it locally by 20mm, then he finished off the plasterboard in this area.

I do sympathise with him as the inspector basically introduced a change to his plan but in my opinion this is the point where he should have taken the rest of the boards previously installed down and remade them all 20mm lower, or at least tried to grade it somehow? any way he didn't, maybe thought it would not get noticed and now it is all plastered and I have obviously noticed it as it sticks out like a sore thumb. he has tried to fudge the coving to mask the problem but I'm not really happy with that.

the wife is accusing me of being a perfectionist and says it goes with the territory lets crack on but it just feels wrong to me to accept this on a new build - basically I would like the whole ceiling replastered to be level, i'm not sure it could be just feathered in. I would appreciate the perspective of other professionals as to how this sort of thing would normally be dealt with.

thank you in advance

2. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Photos?

KIAB likes this.
  3. Thomas Kemp

Thomas Kemp New Member

Please see attached

Attached Files:

4. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

I wouldn't be happy with that as a customer and would never leave a job looking like that as a pro.

leesparkykent and KIAB like this.
  5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Shoddy work!

6. Thomas Kemp

Thomas Kemp New Member

Best ideas for a solution? Could it be skimmed out by a good plasterer or does it need completely reboarding?

7. SWBUILDERS

SWBUILDERS Active Member

8. TK, you noticed this without it being pointed out. It is visible. It is noticeable. It will continue to be a thorn in your side. Some of your friends and visitors coming to see your new extension will notice it too.

A one inch slope over a mere 2m span is noticeable. Especially when there is a level reference point running close to it.

Here's the thing - your builder knew the ceiling would have this slope in it following the BCO's intervention, so should have made a better decision at this point to level it off. And he should have talked it over with you at least.

Actually, the 'better decision' would have been to sort out the levels without even asking you - this isn't something you ask a customer, like "Hey, would you mind a sloping ceiling if it saves me a bit of hassle?!" If you are a pro and are set on doing a pro job for your customer, then that is what you do automatically. No question. From a sense of pride.

So, your builder took a gamble on you not noticing - and he lost.

Don't feel bad about pointing this out - you are not being unreasonable. You are not a pedant or an over-perfectionist. Most people with a half-eye for detail will notice this. The builder took a chance - knowing full well that is what it was - and lost. He wanted to save himself some hassle, that's all. That's the only reason he did this. He might have gotten away with it with some people, but that is all he'd have done - 'gotten away with it'.

Not really a pro way to work.

The problem is, of course, he's now given himself a HUGELY bigger task of sorting it. And hopefully that will teach him a lesson and make him more careful in future.

I can only emphasise - the builder KNEW he was taking a chance. It was a gamble. A risk.

He lost - so he has no-one to blame but himself.

No one else.

Sympathise with the guy; tell him you 'understand'. But then point out what has to happen...

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2016
    FatHands and CGN like this.
  9. Remove p'board and bin it, level off t'joists, reboard and skim.

A giant pita - but that's the risk he took.

(And the guy knows this...)

KIAB likes this.
  10. Silly Q - it is the ceiling that's sloping and not the boxed-in RSJ?

11. Thomas Kemp

Thomas Kemp New Member

Thanks chaps appreciate your time to respond to this.Pretty much reaffirmed what deep down I already knew, it's just wife is sick of the disruption and so am I really, but I should t and won't let that influence this.
    And yes the RSJ is level, it is the ceiling that is out.
    Thanks again

12. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Remove the lot, get everything level & reboard only solution.:(

Thomas Kemp and CGN like this.
  13. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Get him back, get it sorted and move forward. Yes a bit more mess but you've paid good money to have the job done so you should be happy with the work...simple as.

If you ever decide to sell up, then it will come back to bite you again.

Can't get a proper idea of the size of the ceiling but shouldn't take more than a day to take down, level up joists and re-board. A few hours to skim...job done.

KIAB likes this.
  14. SWBUILDERS

SWBUILDERS Active Member

I
    It looks the builder has had to have plates welded to the beam so can be put in 2 sections and looks like the board has been stepping over the plates as it seems to raise again after looks more bowed than anything, he prob thought he could get it in in a 1er :(

15. You've had most of the disruption, and it ain't pleasant.

But one thing is worse - living from now on with a second-rate job for the sake of a wee bit of extra hassle.

Seriously - sympathise with the guy. Tell him you understand - there was chance it could have turned out ok, not noticeable. But you definitely are not being picky - it is noticeable. Do do notice it every time you look at it, and always will.

Even butter him up - you are so pleased with the standard of the rest of his work that this one issue sticks out even more... :rolleyes:

If he is anything like a 'pro', he will agree and do it with good grace. If he's grumpy about it, he's an arris.

But he'll have to do it regardless...

16. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Plus another day / half day for the coving to be fixed up.

CGN likes this.
  17. Rob_bv

Rob_bv Active Member

This is a new-build? Surely the builder would have had drawings and calculations for any RSJs before putting them in?

18. Thomas Kemp

Thomas Kemp New Member

yes he/we did but there was a change to the design where the BI made him weld plates to the underside of where 2 RSJ's met perpendicular, I think the original design was a bolted connection

19. The builder rues the day he didn't go the the relatively little effort of levelling the joists...

But, really, with the properly-level room opening being in such close proximity, he should have guessed it would have been noticeable.

20. SWBUILDERS

SWBUILDERS Active Member

That's a
    A steel splice detail will always have plates