New Flat roof and new flashing but still a leak?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Couperin, Feb 6, 2014.

1. Couperin

Couperin New Member

Hey All,

Our detached house has a flat roof which has been suffering from leaks for the last 2 years in the same places. Its really got us down and we feel like we have nothing else to try as the 3 roofers that have been up there are out of ideas.

Pcitures of roof and leak: http://www.flickr.com/photos/115130724@N05/sets/72157640284584693/

I've posted a link to the pictures of the roof in its current state so any help from all you roofers/builders out there would be amazing and at least give us a little bit of hope to get this fixed.

The blue/grey stuff on the top part of the parapet wall is Acrypol and the big chimney and joining wall has also been smothered in Storm dry as well as the lower rendering in that section etc.

Thanks so much for reading

2. CraigMcK

CraigMcK Screwfix Select

Where do the damp patches on the interior relate to on the outside photos?

The top of the chimney looks like it could be doing with being repointed, but the dwarf walls also look surprisingly damp, were the photos taken after heavy rain? It might be you would be easier taking the top off the wall, down to below the tiles and covering the whole thing in EPDM.

I'm sure others will be along later to offer further support

Sean_ork likes this.
  3. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

and take the stack down if it's not in use

4. Couperin

Couperin New Member

Thanks for the replies guys!
    The photos were taken after heavy rain the night before and pictures P1030030 and P1030029 are right above the leak.

It would cost a lot of money to take the stack down so I'd rather get it repointed, the flaunching re-done and covered in storm dry so I can put the extra money into repairing the roof leaks/Parapet walls.

How much does the EPDM cost for what you suggested in your post Craig and would that smaller chimney need to go?

Last edited: Feb 6, 2014
  5. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

There's a bad joint there in pic 26 on the flat!

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

6. Couperin

Couperin New Member

Hey Mr. Handyandy!

Bad joint on the flat? Could you do me a massive favour and circle it on the pic for me?

upload_2014-2-9_21-7-33.png

7. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

badjoint.jpg

This is pic 26.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

8. Couperin

Couperin New Member

Hey Mr. Handyandy!

Do you reckon its worth painting all the seams with Acrypol or getting them reheated and stuck down. Are there any tell tale signs that I can look out for on the felt roof?

Thanks

9. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

I bet your local roofers love you, they've all got a get out of jail free card if their works don't cure the leak - how much have you spent getting it patched and painted ?

whilst there's no clearly obvious areas that are suspect the covering isn't functional - so you've got the option to carry on spending money on it in the hope that you've eventually cure the leak (with the potential for yet another one to occur at any time) - or accept that the covering is sub standard, bite the bullet and get it ripped off and have it done properly, without felt - the don't need the entire covering replaced

10. Couperin

Couperin New Member

Hey Sean,

Thanks very much for answering. I think the parapet wall is in a bad state and I reckon re-doing it properly with coping and a DPC course will only do our property good either way. If we do this and it still leaks then we at least know is coming from the roof covering and I can go up there myself and paint it up with a rubber seal or something similar.

We're in a situation where the leak could be coming from one or both of them and so far the felt roof looks pretty good so my bets are on the parapet walls from the comments I've had.

11. Couperin

Couperin New Member

In fact - How much would it cost to pull up the creasing tiles, put a dpc course down and the lay coping stones on top? Would it need scaffolding? (Ball park figure)

12. Couperin

Couperin New Member

Just thought I'd let everyone know that it was the parapet wall in the end. It was painted with a polymer paint and sealed and we haven't seen any leaks yet.

Going to paint the house next year to seal the other side too. Thanks to everyone for your help and ideas.