New garage workshop - Lighting ideas.

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by SandyM737, May 5, 2016.

1. SandyM737

SandyM737 New Member

Hi Guys.

I'm planning to convert my garage into a workshop for carpentry.

There are some old flouresant tubes in there but looking for ideas for new lighting.

It's a double length 8.2m x 2.7m. I had tubes in my last workshop and they were OK, but I'm interested to hear other ideas.

2. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

LED tubes. Which have a row of LED bulbs inside them.

3phaseelectrics and KIAB like this.
  3. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

LED bulbs give out fantastic light btw and consume hardly any energy.

3phaseelectrics and KIAB like this.
  4. Led all the way, but more expensive but last longer

KIAB likes this.
  5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

And no flicker, so safer, no strobscopic effect like you get with old fluorescent tube fittings,when using machinery.

Would look at cool white version, some have a rotatable cap, giving you up to 120°adjustable beam angle.

6. SandyM737

SandyM737 New Member

Hi Guys. Thanks for the replies, most appreciated.

I like the sound of LED, but I would have to fill in the ceiling to fit down light housings for those.

Are the LED tubes flicker free and bright enough?

7. tina lucinda lane

tina lucinda lane Screwfix Select

you can retro fit led tubes for most fluoresent tube fittings so messing over celing voids

8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I find the led tubes bright enough,there are Cool White (4000k) Daylight tubes (6500k).
    There is no flicker with led T8 tubes,some of the newer tubes offer up to 180 degree directional light.

This gives you a idea of different colours available.

Last edited: May 6, 2016
  9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

10. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Think you've misunderstood the advice re led fittings here, the guys are talking about either replacing the existing tubes with LED versions or change the complete fitting for a similar fitting, but again, LED

No need to fill in the ceiling, not talking about individual "down lights" here

I recently gave a mate a hand to change 2 old 6' flories for LED panel lights, 600x1200mm in a small workshop. The light is just superb