New Guttering/Facias and Soffits

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Raul B, Apr 25, 2017.

1. Raul B

Raul B Member

Hi

First question - shall I go for plastic or aluminium?

So far I'm receiving quotes for around £1500-£1800 for aluminium. That's completely stripping off the old stuff and installing the new guttering, soffits and facias! Is that a reasonable price? I live in Leeds, West Yorkshire.

2. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Purchased and installed aluminum fascias at parents home.

The old plastic stuff had discolored over time so went for the Marley alutec evoke fascias.

took about a month to be ordered and was charge about £100 for delivery, as they send it out on a pallet.

Used plastic guttering as mid terraced house so had to match in with the neighbours' house plus it was deepflow.

The price seems quite good, as I paid somewhere around £400 in materials just to do the front fascias. will they be using scaffolding?

There is also aluminum guttering available in cast iron style depending on age of house.

3. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

how old is the house and what style is it ?

4. Raul B

Raul B Member

The house is built in 1950s, semi detached property - see attached picture.
    I won't be going for cast iron, simply aluminium Ogee profile.
    I'm not sure about scaffolding.... Probably not as that does hike the price up!

Attached Files:

5. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

A lot of experienced firms will fir fascia's and guttering off a ladder. On a job like this there probably isn't much difference between plastic and aluminium - £300 on something that should last 20 years as a minimum is too bad. Apart from any design preferences, there isn't much to choose between them - have a look at this

http://www.raingutterprosinc.com/vinyl-vs-aluminum

6. Raul B

Raul B Member

Sorry, what do you mean by "on a job like this...."?
    Surely there's a Yes or No answer on which is better quality/durable etc etc....???

7. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

See what the neighbors have fitted, sometimes people go for different shapes which aren't always compatible with each other.

Think there may be more capacity with the ogee compared to standard half round.

8. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Also may want to go for vented soffits, can get pre-slotted ones.