New here, please be nice, wall problems?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Rhys jones, Dec 26, 2013.

1. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

interesting, are you intending those horizontal battens to act as counters to create a gap behind the new boarding ? - will your next task be fitting some additional vertical ones, at 400 centers ?

horizontally boarding ?

o_O

Last edited: Dec 28, 2013
  2. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

lookin' good :)

3. Looks as tho' you are going to make a decent job of it, Rhys, but why the horizontal battening? Why additional battening at all?

What's behind the vapour barrier - you say there's insulation there? Why aren't you just screwing insulation sheets and then p'board over it all - into the existing verticals behind that barrier?

What's coming down the wall to the left of the left-most window? Is that a copper pipe? You keeping that exposed...?

4. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

F&R

5. Rhys jones

Rhys jones New Member

Hi guys, theres a copper pipe coming down the left side side of that window, we are keeping it exposed but getting the copper pipe moved to that far left corner, hopefully in the future (when budget allows) that windows is turning in to French doors. I have had a thought DA and looked at that jablite polystyrene board, as there is already insulation in the wall I thought I may get that stuff put it inbetween the battens then normal pb over the top. Would.this be alright? Or should I stick to the original plan??

The reason behind the horizontal battens is that the vertical battens are not at 400 centres, and the verticals are on cement-like structures, the horizontal battens are now at 400 centres, I was not intending putting extra vertical beams, should I??, I know it seems backwards lol but surely its the same thing?

6. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

which way are you intending to fix the Pb, horizontally or vertically ?

7. Rhys jones

Rhys jones New Member

I was going to put it vertically, should I not do it this way??

8. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

you need a stud or batten along the full length of the Pb joints, if you don't you'll quickly see cracking as the joints won't be supported

9. Rhys jones

Rhys jones New Member

Cheers sean, in that case I will lay them horizontally, there will then be a batten at the joints. Thanks.

10. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

but you'll still have unsupported edges, and those edges won't be tapered

Is there no way you could just fit them vertically, even if you have to trim the Pb to match the existing studs centres, or even adding some sister studs to the existing

11. Hi Rhys.

What spacing are the existing vertical studs? 2'? 16"?

There's nothing to stop you fitting the p'boards horizontally should you wish, but the same applies - where p'board sheets meet must be fully supported with battens. So you'll need to fit short vertical battens ('noggins', I guess) in between the horizontal ones you've already fitted wherever sheets meet.

How much insulation to use comes down to you. What type, and how much, insulation is already in the wall behind that vapour barrier? And what is the outside wall skin made of?

Jablite is pretty basic stuff, and probably the lowest insulation value of this kind of stuff. Having said that, we all know how cosy expanded polystyrene is! Bottom line - the more you add the 'better'. But, the more you add the less the improvement...

I have to say I personally like the idea of whole sheets being used at some point, so that you don't have an insulation mismatch between the Jablite infill and the bare timber battens.

If you want a super-cheap job coupled with decent insulation, why not neatly but Jablite to fit in between your battens as you suggest, but then overlay whole 25mm sheets (or even a better product) over the battens before adding the p'board. We are only talking an extra inch, and an inch might never be so significant... cough.

This also gives a 50mm+ space to the inside of the vapour barrier - you could easily sink your pipes in there should you wish.

12. Rhys jones

Rhys jones New Member

Great advice there guys, I can easily add noggins at every pb joint thats not a problem, DA I also like the sound over infilling the gaps between battens and then overlaying the whole damn thing! This sounds like a good "cheap" way of doing this wall.

Ive even started dreaming about insulation/plasterboards and battens lately lol...

Wait until I start asking questions about the bathroom and kitchen lol.

13. Biffo

Biffo Member

it looks as if you are going to be well proud of the plastic window liners ,id take them off , see whats going on behind it . insulate ,plasterboard in place of the pvc liner . bead and skim , will look a lot better too

14. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Just like to pick up on a couple of points.

If adding 'noggins' for the pb edges, you won't have the benefit of a single straight piece of timber for the edge, so something to consider(getting them all the same level/straightness).

Also, I wonder(about supported edges) how it is managed when 'dotting and dabbing' ?

And would dotting and dabbing in spaces between battens for the pb edges be good(depending on adhesion to what is there already) ?

Mr. HandyAndy - Really