New home - boiler confusion

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Lblissie, Sep 7, 2017.

1. Lblissie

Lblissie New Member

hi

I've just moved into a new home and I'm confused about how the hot water works. Can't ask the vendors as on bad terms after they took the lights and curtains with them :-( In the airing cupboard I have a Drayton control panel which controls the timings for central heating and hot water - this I have mastered. There is also a Worcester combi boiler and a mega flow hot water tank.

I'm a little confused as I thought a combi boiler meant that you would have hot water on demand so why do I also have a hot water? (It's a 5 bedroom family house so not sure if that makes a difference in terms of amount of hot water needed at one time)

Anyway so I set the Drayton timer for hot water to come on at 6am and I tried to have a shower around 7am and the hot water was cold and only started to heat up when I turned up the central heating dial on the Worcester (we had previously turned the dial to 0 as thought we wouldn't need this on yet ie the left dial in the photo attached), the hot water dial was turned up and we assumed that's all we needed (the right dial in the photo attached)

So generally I don't understand what controls what. If I have the Drayton timer on, is that controlling the Worcester combi boiler? What controls the mega flow? If I have the Drayton hot water timer on in the morning will that also control/heat up the mega flow? If I want to do some washing up in the middle of the day can I expect there to be hot water available from the am (hot water is currently programmed to go off at 9.30am) or do I need an extra programme timed in on the Drayton

Sorry don't really want to call out plumber as I'm sure it all works ... I just need to understand what does what!

Attached Files:

2. Hi Lizzie.

You clearly have a good grasp of the boiler types.

As you say, tho', it doesn't make sense that it's a 'combi' boiler if you also have a MegaFlo hot cylinder - I suspect you actually have a 'system' boiler.

Yes, this should be able to heat up the cylinder and give you tons of hot water without the CH also being on!

Could you post photos of the MegaFlo along with the bits and pieces around it - valves and so on. Also a photo of all your various controls.

What is the exact boiler model number?

3. CraigMcK

CraigMcK Screwfix Select

If you have a "mega flow" then it's not usual to have a combi boiler. What is the model number of the boiler?

It sounds from your description that you have a system boiler, which via the time clock should heat the water, but if you confirm the above its a start

4. Lblissie

Lblissie New Member

Thanks for your replies

Its a Worcester greenstar 30CDi system

It's a megaflow CL210HE

And Drayton lifestyle lp722

I've uploaded some more photos

Attached Files:

5. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

It should work as you expect, the Drayton timer provides the "on/off" for heating and hot water, the boiler controls set the maximum temperature the boiler will run at (putting it simply) so both dials/controls should be set to where you have them, around the '5' mark.

If you put the HW 'on' on the Drayton timber then the boiler should come on assuming the water needs heating up, and the water should heat up...similar for the heating. The '57' on the boiler shows the current water temperature in the boiler, right?

6. Lblissie

Lblissie New Member

Ah ok that makes sense.

The only thing that doesn't make sense is why the water was cold this am at 7am when it was programmed to come on at 6am (and the Drayton timer indicated it was on). We thought that it only started working when we turned up the central heating dial on the Worcester but perhaps I was wrong.

How long should I expect the boiler to take to heat up? Perhaps I need to turn it on earlier? Tomorrow morning I will check the temperature on the boiler now I know that's what it is!

The boiler is now showing 43 and I ran the water and it's hot.

Thanks dr bodgit!

7. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

The central heating dial on the boiler controls the temperature going through the radiators and the cylinder. This is why turning it up brought the boiler on. Number 5 is high enough. The hot water dial on the boiler isn't normally used on system boilers but is on combis.

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  8. The hot water temperature control on the boiler will not work.There is an optional extra diverter valve,which when used allows a hot water flow and return from the boiler,which then brings that control into play.
    You will have two 2 port valves installed in the system and control the water and heating through the programmer and roomstat.

9. Sounds like a result :)

(I did say the exact opposite of the two posts above... :()

So this boiler can 'double' as a combi?

10. No,read my post above.
    When the diverter valve is fitted it provides a flow and return to a cylinder.Then the dial will work.

11. Ah - optional to the boiler? Fitted inside the case?

Coooool.

12. Yes,but in this case not fitted.

13. I learn summat every day... :)

14. Lblissie

Lblissie New Member

Sorry I am still at the very early stage of my boiler learning. Thanks for your responses. Deleted member 11267 ... whilst much appreciated ... I'm afraid yours is a little technical for me. Do I need to do anything with this valve?

Thanks again for all your help all!

15. No,just use the programmer to set what times you require for hot water and heating,also set the room stat.

16. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

and keep the heating stat on boiler at 5. If you turn this down too much the hot water may not heat correctly. And remember, ignore the hot water stat on the boiler as this does nothing.