new house, boiler replacement, system repiped

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by fabro, Jul 27, 2014.

1. fabro

fabro Member

We bought a house and it needed a new boiler and were recommended by a few to change all the pipework too. The plumbers are 80% done and just noticed that in half the rooms, they used the existing pipes (cutting corners, saving money...) I will highlight this to them as I was quoted for repiping of the whole system but wondering what the impact is on using much older pipes.

2. plumberboy

plumberboy Well-Known Member

What was the reason for changing all pipe work?
    How old is the original system?

3. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

What is the sizing and or type of the old pipes?

4. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

I agree with you fabro if you've been quoted for whole new repiping, that's what you should get, the original piping will probably ok, in fact it might even be better than new because the older copper was thicker walled but that's beside the point, if you're paying for new, you should get it,

5. fabro

fabro Member

not sure when the last system was installed, the house is from the 30's and the pipes are imperial sizes if that gives a clue. I will insist for the pipes to be as per what I was quoted. It makes you wonder what some do when you don't check!

6. plumberboy

If new is what your paying for then new is what you should get with out a doubt, I just wondered why they felt the whole house needs re-piping.

7. Fabro, impact of using old pipe? No major ones I can think of, other than they will certainly have some sludge coating their insides. They are very unlikely to be 'corroded' or 'worn through' or anything like that. However, the fitters should be intending to clean through the system using chemicals before commissioning in any case.

But, copper is expensive (hence often much thinner pipe used these days) so they will have saved 'themselves' a bit of money in materials as well as fitting cost.

Just make sure you are the one who saves from this.

H3xc0d3 likes this.
  8. 223mike clarke

223mike clarke New Member

You've probably heard of de-zincification - I would just check that there are no ferrous pipes left in the system

9. ...or brass compression fittings.

10. fabro

fabro Member

Some development...the guy came back and said would change them all, then disappeared for a week! (being 85% paid) pretending some family illness and came back a week later to finish the job and then still argued about the extra work in changing the pipes for new (as per quote!) but ended up changing them eventually with a mixture of copper and speedfit pipes. Also, no chemical flush was performed, apparently new systems don't need one...is that correct? I have not paid then remainder yet! Just lost trust and wonder if he's cut corners...

11. plumberboy

If you now have a complete new system ,pipes-rads-boiler,then no chemical flush needed.;)

Last edited: Aug 5, 2014
  12. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

so no precommissioning clean then, to get rid of flux, debris ect ?

13. plumberboy

Just a hot flush but no chemical flush needed,a chemical flush is what he was asking.

14. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

No You still have to use a cleanser as a bare minimum to clean the debris and flux thats part of the Benchmark standard.

Cheburashka likes this.
  15. And have a filter fitted.

16. fabro

fabro Member

I believe he did flush the system. Also a pyrotech filter is fitted. Unfortunately we just started not to trust the guy anymore...

17. plumberboy

It's a shame it got like that between you ,but he brought it on himself from the beginning trying to cut corners with not replacing all old pipe work.