New kitchen

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by Jay459, May 29, 2015.

1. Jay459

Jay459 Member

we are moving into a new build in the next couple of months and we are discussing kitchens with the fitter. We have been told the budget is 3k. The house is 150k. I'm not sure if this is a big budget.

Anyway we have decided on grey tongue and groove cabinet doors, oak worktop, fitter said laminate will be better than solid as wet patches make it look bad.

We are also set on the domsjo twin ceramic sink from Ikea. Now this is my problem. The sink is 66cm and the worktop the fitter is fitting is 60cm standard. Is this not going to work. You see we seen the sink in ikea and their worktops are 63.5cm, so overhang is only 15mm where in my case it will be 60mm

2. seen it all before

seen it all before Active Member

A 600 mm depth work top is a cheap work top, and doest give you much front overhang on the doors, I personally only use as minimum the 616 mm work tops if I'm supplying. Doesn't sound much more but makes a difference. Any how the answer to your question is yes it would work, but it would more than likely look out of place overhanging by 60mm, so it's all down to personal choice can you live with looking at something every day that doesn't like right or not. Or you could even speak to the builders and pay to upgrade to 650mm work tops.

3. Jay459

Jay459 Member

Is 635mm also a choice or would this be a custom ikea size

4. candoabitofmoststuff

candoabitofmoststuff Screwfix Select

Maybe I'm missing something here... but even a 63.5 IKEA worktop is over 2cm too narrow... isn't it?
    Maybe this sink is meant for fitting in an island, rather than against a wall?

Cando

5. Jay, you have what you want.

But it may cost you a bit more to get it. Eg, solid oak w'tops cost a lot more than laminate.

Yes, Oak needs constant looking after, and you cannot treat it like you would a laminate top. But that's part of the deal in having them, and something only you can make the judgement on.

That sinktop is well nice. Yes, it's designed to sit out by - ooh - 20mm or so from the front of the tops. Will it look silly sticking out further? Yes, almost certainly.

There are ways around this, tho', by fitting deeper tops and spacing the base units out from the wall to suit if needed. You could even bodge it by having a deeper upstand along the backs of the tops to hold them out, but it would have to look in keeping, obviously.

Whatever worktop you choose, you'll be able to get a matching breakfast bar top in the same range, so that's an easy way of getting a deeper top - it's just trimmed off at the back to suit.

Bottom line, you decide what you want, and your fitter fits it for you.

(Ah, just realised that this is a new build, so they fitters don't have to do what you want unless you pay extra... Ok, if you don't have a kitchen at all, will they discount that £3k for you to spend on your own fitter? If so, take a copy of your house plans to a couple of local kitchen fitters (ideally recommended ones) and ask for their quotes.)

6. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

£3K isn't a huge amount, but guess kitchen isn't too big either. Personally, I would stick to "ordinary". i.e. 600mm worktops, because the same quality in this size is less expensive that other widths, so you will get the highest quality for the least money. Choose a nice sink from one of the quality suppliers - Franke, Schock etc which will fit a 600mm worktop, and get some nice quality doors,handles and taps. Personally on a limited budget I think it is better to mix some very high quality items with some budget items, rather than go middle-of-the-road for everything. e.g. an expensive handle on a plain door can look really good!

If you get some samples from the big laminate worktop suppliers, you will find that the quality is ever improving. Unless you can live with the inevitable micro-scratches don't go gloss. If you do stick with Oak or other solid wood, be prepared for maintenance.

BTW each to their own, but I think that IKEA sink is horrible!! I really like the range from Schock http://www.schock.de/en/sinks/#fMin=40&fMax=90 Quality is excellent.

7. Big Dunk

Big Dunk Active Member

IMHO steer well clear of ikea kitchens, they're horrible to fit with no service space behind the units and there is no scope to scribe to out of plumb or square walls. They only have 3inch deep plinths as the units are not standard size they are oversize in height and anything you buy in the future for it will have to come from ikea. Your fitter will hate you if you get an ikea kitchen.

Jitender likes this.
  8. seen it all before

seen it all before Active Member

He is only supplying his sink from ikea, but
    ill second that, was asked to finish a kitchen off which someone had left halfway through, when I went to see it I understand why they he had left it was an ikea kitchen.

Big Dunk likes this.
  9. Big Dunk

Big Dunk Active Member

Nothing but trouble. I won't even price to fit them anymore.

seen it all before likes this.
  10. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

If it's an IKEA sink then it's an IKEA waste as well...

11. Big Dunk

Big Dunk Active Member

Urrrggh them big horrible grey flexi things:eek::eek:

12. Jay459

Jay459 Member

Thanks for all the helpful comments folks, at the end of the day i want to do the kitchen right as its the most permanent room of the house really.

We have the doors we want, colour..etc, stainless american fridge freezer, stainless rangemaster range cooker, ikea sink is a must.

So I need to get a laminate oak worktop, that must be the block effect, and really needs to be 620-635mm. Ive checked online and its hard to get this size, have seen some 650mm and 665.

As I'm in northern ireland I've not much choice, no howdens or magnet...

This is what I'm looking for ...

http://www.benchmarxkitchens.co.uk/Canyon-Oak-Block-38mm-Worktop/p/143527

13. Jay, you should get what you want.

If that is the only worktop option you have available over there, then you may need to swallow the extra cost of the 900mm breakfast bar, and then have it trimmed down to whatever actual depth you need.

And, if the units themselves are shallower than standard ones for any reason, then they can be brought slightly forwards from the back wall too. This is all perfectly doable.

The only issue is whether the fitter for the house builder would be prepared to do this extra work - he might just be 'standard or nuffink'.

So, discuss this with him and see if he's prepared to do these tweaks. Or, will the house builder discount the total price by £3k - and can you get someone else to fit the whole kitchen for this amount?

14. Big Dunk

Big Dunk Active Member

Just get a 650mm worktop and rip it down to the width you want. Same sink fitted below.
    [​IMG]
    This is the last ikea kitchen I fitted can't remember the width of the worktop but it was supplied from ikea with the kitchen. The sink is not cut into the worktop, the worktop is cut to abutt to the sink bowl with a small lip over the worktop. I think the sink had to be supported from below inside the carcass iirc.

Attached Files:

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  15. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Ripping an oversize worktop is bog standard, if your fitter can't do it don't employ him..

CGN likes this.
  16. Nice, Big Dunk.

That 'drawer front' under the sink - what is it? It seems an unusual height size. Is it chust a made-up décor panel fitted with a handle?

Big Dunk likes this.
  17. Big Dunk

Big Dunk Active Member

Cheers Devils Advocate:) it's just a false front made using an IKEA drawer front, it covered part of sink bowl? It is unusual height as is all ikea stuff. Can't remember the exact height but the carcasses are around 800mm high as they only have stupid 3"high plinths, everything with ikea is an odd size.

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  18. iainc

iainc New Member

IKEA redid their kitchen range to be completely non-standard. The new Metod Kitchen is for people who have walls that come in blocks of 20cm (no 300, 150 or 500 units). Depth is fixed at 60cm (or 40cm for slimline). They also now go almost right down to the floor, so there is nowhere to run services at all!

19. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

How many have walls that come in blocks of 20cm in the England, very,very few.
    Would never use a Ikea kitchen, as they arn't designed for a English kitchen in my opinion.

Big Dunk likes this.
  20. helgajones

helgajones New Member

It is very important that before you moved into a new home, everything is fixed. I think that you should visit a furniture store or an IKEA in your town to help you with your sink issues.