New laminate flooring

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by smc4761, Oct 20, 2016.

1. smc4761

smc4761 New Member

Looking to put down 12mm thick laminate flooring and I will be using the screwfix 5mm fibreboard as underlay.

I assume I need to stagger the underlay

Do I need to leave an expansion gap for the underlay

Does the underlay need to be joined together eg by tape/staple tc.

Thanks for any help

2. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

I did stagger mine but not sure if there was any need. No expansion gap needed with the underlay. Did staple some down to the floor to help with less movement but only a few staples here and there.

3. smc4761

smc4761 New Member

Thanks for the quick reply, there is so much conflicting opinions out there

4. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Other more experienced people will come along to help.

5. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Wouldn't have thought fibreboard underlay would be needed with 12mm laminate. Better with a foam sheet.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

6. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

I have used both myself. Seemed fine and dandy

7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Under laminate in dinning room I have Sonic Gold underlay, has built in dpm,only 5mm thick,very pleased with it.

8. Rob_bv

Rob_bv Active Member

No need to stagger, no need for an expansion gap and and no need to join together as it's only acting as a cushion, nothing else.

9. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Staggering is good practice though as the boards may end up edge on, on a line of fibre board!

10. Rob_bv

Rob_bv Active Member

Staggering the boards won't change that!

11. metrokitchens

metrokitchens Screwfix Select

use a bit of masking tape to join the underlay. just helps to keep it all in place and only takes seconds.

i fit loads of laminate and prefer the fiber board type underlay. mainly because i am usually fitting over a carp rotten floor. less chance of bits of grit being stuck under the laminate also.

tore81 likes this.
  12. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

It will if a row of boards ends up on the same line as the end of a row of fibre boards! You will get a slight sinking feeling!

13. metrokitchens

metrokitchens Screwfix Select

I tend to stagger my underlay. just habit i suppose.

14. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

Just wandering

do people make the width of the boards cuts even also.

Some people do some people don't. What's the easiest way of doing this I'm guessing width of the board divided by length of the room

15. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Do you mean length?

16. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

The easiest way to explain it is like you would Using T and G! Get it looking even.

Or like tiling your cuts are even on both sides of the room. If it's a square room of course rather than you ending up with slithers.

17. njm

njm Member

Stagger and gaffer tape underlary definately, even if its just taped so it doesnt lift/move while you fitting the planks.
    I always half bond my planks as well, main reason being strength , secondly for eveness.lastly i would just start with a full plank and whatever is left at the end is left-you hardly ever see both sides to compare due to furniture anyway, although do check your room width first and if it leaves you with a tiny rip at one side -say 50mm or less then reduce the first row to start with.

18. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

So how do you go about checking width, this measure the room divided by the width of the plank. That's what I meant

19. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

width of room lets say 4.3m divide by plank width, lets say 138mm which = 31.159 boards to get across the room, so you would have 31 full boards and a silly bit, so if you ripped your first board down to say 80mm by the time you get to the other side you will be left with 60/70mm

CGN and tore81 like this.
  20. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select