New lighting run problem

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Working On It, Jul 22, 2016.

1. Working On It

Working On It Member

Hi Guys,
    Could I ask for some advice on a lighting wiring problem I have. I have run a new cable to 5 new led lights, when all was connect the very 1st light worked fine, but as soon as I added another light to it, the leds started flashing and wouldn't work when 2 lights were connected.
    I think looking at it now it looks like (from memory) I've come from the power supply to the 1st light and then on to each other light unit and then down to the switch, instead of going to the switch first and then onto the leds

I think I'm missing a switch wire? if that's the case can I run from the switch to any lamp holder or do I need to run to each lamp...

thanks
    Tony

2. eric the fish

eric the fish Member

Can you give us a diagram of how you have connected the lights

E the F

3. Working On It

Working On It Member

How do I attach a picture@

4. Working On It

Working On It Member

You know when you ask and then it's there!!!!

Attached Files:

5. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

Think need pic of actual installation

6. eric the fish

eric the fish Member

Or a more detailed diagram. How are the individual cable cores connected at the lights, switch & CU

E the F

7. Working On It

Working On It Member

Okay, switch is wired brown and blue works fine with 1 light on the circuit, from there it goes to a Wago block (each light location) Browns linked and the blues separate for the lamps to be connected to all the way through, haven't removed the CU cover but thought it would be wired right as this was done by the spark who put the unit in. The cable has been in a couple of months with just the 1 light on so he could wire it up in the unit, to give me light while working... Hope this makes sense

8. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

I do love a good laugh of an evening when I read threads like this. Fair does if its a bit of DIY fairy lights or something but more than likely its a polski re-wiring some unfortunates house.

9. Working On It

Working On It Member

Defo Not, just cannot work out what I've done wrong, normally pretty good with stuff like this.

10. Sparkielev

All you needed to do was run lights of existing light how many cables in light fitting ?

11. Working On It

Working On It Member

2 x 1.5 T&E looping in and out starting at the CU and ending at the switch, Ta

12. Sparkielev

Do you posses a test meter if yes then you need to test at first light

13. stateit

stateit Screwfix Select

Have you ended up wiring them in series? They should be in parallel.

TP&N likes this.
  14. TP&N

TP&N Active Member

Sounds like a series wired job to me

15. Rob_bv

Rob_bv Active Member

You haven't taken the 1.5 T&E straight through to the switch have you?! I'm having visions of the live and neutral wired into the switch together...

16. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

The switch drop should come from the first fitting. You have wired everything in series by the sound of it.

17. Working On It

Working On It Member

Thanks all for the responses, I think I was just having one of those days, I had just completely wired the switch wrong, as it was a 2 gang switch I just got myself where I couldn't think straight...

Cheers
    T