New oven querie

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Alan bell, Jul 31, 2015.

1. Alan bell

Alan bell New Member

My daughters just bought a new dual fuel oven, it is fitted with a 13amp plug. I would like to hard wire it , is this possible .

2. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Yes, fit a fused connection unit (spur).

Alan bell likes this.
  3. Alan bell

Alan bell New Member

Sorry probably should have mentioned it has a cooker socket and I wanted to use this...

4. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

If it has a pre-fitted plug it's obviously meant to be fused at 13 amps so come from the cooker switch to the fcu and then to the cooker.

Alan bell likes this.
  5. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

Take out the cooker connection unit , replace with I switched fused connection unit.

Alan bell likes this.
  6. Alan bell

Alan bell New Member

So the power from the cooker switch is too powerful, if so I will just plug it in the 13 amp socket. Just wanted it to look a bit neater.
    Cheers Guys

7. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

When u say plug it in do u mean to a socket on the ring circuit. If you do I'll heavy'll load that circuit! Connect as per instructions all ready given.

Alan bell likes this.
  8. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

A lot of ovens are 3kW or less now, hence plugging into ring mains. Electric hobs draw more current than an oven and need a dedicated supply. Often, the oven and hob Is connected to the existing cooker point as its wired in 6mm and there is no skt below worktop for oven anyway. Electric appliances 'draw' their required current so if you had a supply rated at 230v and 1000A, the appliance would only take what it needed to function. It won't be 'force fed' so to speak :)

Alan bell likes this.
  9. PaulBlackpool

PaulBlackpool Screwfix Select

Just check that it won't invalidate the warranty if you take the plug off.

Alan bell likes this.
  10. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Paul, I think that is another myth that has been peddled by kitchen fitters. There is nothing to stop anyone cutting off a plug and hard wiring in to a fused connection unit. It has nothing to do with the manufacturers warranty.

PaulBlackpool and seneca like this.
  11. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Agreed UP.

PaulBlackpool likes this.