New planer

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Paul Hurd, Aug 7, 2017.

1. Paul Hurd

Paul Hurd Member

Just purchased a sparky P282 720W Planer and on unboxing I found the adjustable front plate to be out of square to the rear plate and the parallel guide when attached.

This isn't normal is it?

I emailed sparky repair centre and didn't get the reply I wanted as I think they must of misunderstood.

Attached is a photo of the Base with the parallel guide attached

What do you think

Cheers
    Paul IMG_20170807_185949.jpg

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Totally useless, return for a refund!

3. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Can it not be re-aligned, any fixings adjustment points underneath? If not return it. :(

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

5. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

6. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

The shoe should be removable so maybe worth taking it off and having a look.

7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

And a very good toy.

I bought one of these Bosch green planer to get me out of situation where I had left my Bosch blue planer at home, & it was easier to pop into B&Q & get one to finish job, 20 years or so later the Bosch green planer is still working.

8. Paul Hurd

Paul Hurd Member

Thanks for your replies.

You are right kiab, the plate has 2 pins that are guided by 2 holes on the machine, so one or the other is out of line. No adjustment at all.

Thanks for the recommendation.

Cheers all.
    Paul

KIAB likes this.
  9. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Yes, not knocking it I have two green Bosch planers one I bought about 35 years ago......only let me down once when the drive belt broke and the second time was my fault having chewed the mains cable amongst the blades, used it today on wooden window frames I am making, I did buy a second Bosch green from a car boot last year, same model, boxed and never used £10.

KIAB likes this.
  10. Paul Hurd

Paul Hurd Member

I

Hi Astramax,
    I've looked at it and as I said further down the post it is not possible. It's like putting a 2 pin plug into its socket. You can push it in and out but not turn it.

11. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Get a refund.

12. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

You mean the uneven distance along the roller

upload_2017-8-7_20-35-54.png

If the roller runs true, it could be part of the design. By angling the roller blade you will prevent the leading edge hitting the timber all at once. This underside of a Festool planer with a similar gap. I don't have one to check. I have a Bosch one similar to the ones recommended above and it has lasted about 10 years

upload_2017-8-7_20-37-4.png

13. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Just looked at my three bosch planers, the gap is uniform across the width, definitely not skew-whiff as with OP's planer..

14. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

3 planers ? I can't remember my Bosch being offset but wouldn't be surprised if there were problems with the Sparky ones - they are in the clearance at Toolstation

KIAB likes this.
  15. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Yes 3, a elderly bosch green,& 2 bosch blue, one of which came off Freecycle a couple of years ago.

16. Paul Hurd

Paul Hurd Member

The roller is true to the back plate, it is the front adjustable plate that is wonky so the roller is square.
    I'm still unsure as to whether it's faulty, or by design

17. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Can't see any reason why it should be offset.

18. CraigMcK

CraigMcK Screwfix Select

B&Q up my way are selling Bosch blue for under £70 just now, not sure of the model though. They may have them in all the stores.

KIAB and Paul Hurd like this.
  19. Paul Hurd

Paul Hurd Member

No nor me. The thing is, that all these are mass produced and the chances of getting one that is different is probably very slim.

I've left a message on there fb page and waiting on a reply, will let you know.

20. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Just looked at YouTube and the demo model is NOT offset.