New shower + circuit to existing consumer unit

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by mobucl, Oct 9, 2015.

Tags:
  1. mobucl

mobucl New Member

Hi All,

We have installed a 9.5 kw shower into a bathroom which did not previously have a shower. We have run a 6mm cable to the consumer unit following the recommendations of the manufacturer (<20 metres length cable can use 6mm). Problem is we have an old consumer unit with flick switch fuses but no RCDs. It also doesn't have any additional spare connections (sorry im not an expert so i hope that description makes sense).
    Therefore i bought something similar to this:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/shower-ki...l&gclid=CLjV-veOtcgCFQvhGwodZkUNnQ&kpid=89514

I was hoping that an electrician can connect this to the mains supply so the new circuit is RCD protected whilst the other circuits remain unchanged HOWEVER i have now been told by an electrician that to be part P compliant the addition of a new circuit means ALL the circuits must be upgraded i.e. a whole new consumer unit. Whilst i appreciate that this would be a better solution in the long term we cant afford the additional cost at the moment (£350 was the quote) - and im also concerned that there will be problems with the wiring to the older circuits that will cause the RCDs to flip meaning extra cost!

Can someone please tell me if the electrician is correct or can i get the separate RCD unit installed??

Thanks a lot

Matt

2. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

That electrician is talking rubbish Matt!
    The unit you have is ok but you will need to replace the 50 amp mcb with a 40 amp one in view of your 6.0
    mm cable. It will need to be connected into the tails before your existing consumer unit using a Henley block. This work is notifiable to BC under part P rules so needs to be done by a competent and registered person.

FatHands likes this.
  3. mobucl

mobucl New Member

Ok thanks Seneca - this is good news - it did seem rediculous that the whole consumer unit had to be replaced to make 1 new circuit that is completely separate! I guess i just need to hope that the house fuse is good enough for the existing circuit!

im not at home but i think i might have a 45 amp RCD actually rather than 50 amp but i guess the electrician will know whats what.
    What do you think the cost of the installation would be roughly? Ive been told by a non part P electrician (so he wont do the work) of between £50 to £100 depending on what needs to be done.

4. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

It's the mcb that needs changing to 40 amps.

5. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

strictly speaking any additions must include a check of the existing earthing and bonding arrangements too mobucl

Rulland likes this.
  6. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

I would have thought all the hassle of putting in the henly and new cu wouldn't be that much harder than replacing the existing one tbh. That would be my advice. Also you can't get the spart to sign off your work. He can only notify his own so you will need to tell BC.

7. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

In fact 350 sounds very reasonable to me

KIAB likes this.
  8. FatHands

you fitting the amd3 ones yet col or the current spec until new year?

9. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

I did a re-wire on a refurb a few months back and none where about back then so not much choice in it. I'm still living in it at the moment anyway so if it burns down it will only kill me. I've not bothered with BC certs as no is really bothered anyway so long as you can give them a EIC cert when you sell it on. It's like £300 sovs for some idiot from BC to come round and tell me what I already know. Balls to that. Prolly I'll retro-fit one when the time comes if it kicks off. But no, I aint done one yet.

10. FatHands

fair 'nuff col. ;)

11. sparky Si-Fi

sparky Si-Fi Screwfix Select

£350.00 for a board change with certification and notification. . .thats a very reasonable price

12. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

Personally I would RCD the bathroom lights as we'll so that x bonding not reqd!

FatHands likes this.
  13. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Too cheap for an AMD3 job!

14. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

Or if for bg a grand+!, we're not all out to fleece.

15. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

As Nigel says, the shower would need locally bonding to the lighting circuit in 4mm earth if there is no RCD on the lights, also I wouldn't put anything higher than an 8.5kW on a 6mm cable.