New Shower Pump will NOT switch off !!! Help

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Mad Robin, Aug 17, 2010.

1. Mad Robin

Mad Robin New Member

Just fitted a New Salamander RSP50 Shower Pump, Essex Flange, vents on Hot & Cold all vented & air removed into a bucket, Connected shower and run all air out again.
    Powered up electrically as it says in short bursts then left power on but pump runs continuous!

HELP

2. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

Well either there is a leak somewhere, you have plumbed it in wrong or there is still air in the system!

3. Mad Robin

Mad Robin New Member

Just checked & no leaks... Feeds in on the side eneds of pump as per instructions, outlets off the top, checked again for air, ie. disconnected outlets from Pupm, run off 2 big buckets full off each side. Pump still runs continuous! what does make me wonder is are they sided ie Hot one side cold another specific ? the pump came with Red caps on all outlets & inlets?

4. palavaman

palavaman Well-Known Member

Switch them around then, what have you got to loose? Nothing ventured, nothing gained!!!!!

5. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

No they are not one-sided.

6. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

You have not connected the cold to the mains have you ?

7. Mad Robin

Mad Robin New Member

Well I tried it anyhow.... but alas still the same constantly runs, took the outlet hoses off & connected a 3m washing machine hose to each side, bled air.. ie let it run (filled 3 buckets) lifted hose above pump & turned off isolator valves, reconnected pump outlet hoses still the same

8. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

Well it might be faulty then! :)

9. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

What about air AFTER the pump?

10. palavaman

If you keep this up, by 2mori, you'll be so stressed you'd wish you had gotten a plumber in to fit the pump.

Not Bering 4nny, but you seem 2b trying too hard? If I were in ur situation, I'll take pump back to vendor, say it's faulty, get a replacement & get a plumber in to deal with the headache!

11. Mad Robin

Mad Robin New Member

Ahh.. reconnected outlets, turned on shower (pump off) ran for 5 mins, turned shower off... turned pump on... it ran straight away would not switch off!!

12. palavaman

You're still trying too hard M8!

13. ThreadJacker

ThreadJacker Active Member

I've had this on a Salamander before, the flow switch/switches could be jammed on.

Remove the pump and shake it upside down until you can hear the flow switches rattling on each side, apparantly they only rattle when they are free and not jammed open. Are filters clean?

I have a few old shower pumps in my garage that work but have small leaks. When faced with this situation I swap them over to rule out or confirm a faulty pump.
    ;)

14. Mad Robin

Mad Robin New Member

Cheers Palava man !! I was quoted £475-£500 by 3 different plumbers as I wanted to repipe in 22mm up to pump as old pipes were nasty lookin push fit n plakky pipe!

Re-piped in 22 up to pump, (in loft) then 15 mm after pump to shower ( shower only 1m from pump) back to shop for me me thinks !

15. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

Why re-pipe in 22mm? It's completely pointless if pump has 15mm outlets! :O

16. Mad Robin

Mad Robin New Member

Errrr just wanted to make as much water available as possible :(

17. Mad Robin

Mad Robin New Member

Right ... here goes .. rang the guys at Salamander and he just laughts & told me to disconnect it & give it a right good shaking untill it rattled!

Constant running problem resolved! however now it only runs luke warm, Ive run countless buckets through to remove the air but it seems to be just pumping through the cold! tomorrow nights job isolate the pump & turn round to see if it just pumps the Hot !!

Answers on a postcard please ....

18. palavaman

Postcard Answer:

UR still trying too hard:p. All those sleepless nights! U'll soon go grey:^O

19. Mad Robin

Mad Robin New Member

Already am grey!

More info.. Plumber hasnt fitted a wessex/essex/susses/sex flange at all the hot supply is taken from the hot feed from the tank... albeit he has 'T'eed into it low down almost at the floor of the cylinder..
    Should I fit a essex on the side or a sussex on the top Salamander say it has to be a essex with a gravity loop!

Help......

20. Doneitwrongagaindad

Doneitwrongagaindad New Member

I had a very similar problem with a salamander negative head pump. It had a surrey fitted correctly, but whatever i tried, it never worked successfully.

Fit an Essex flange and all your problems will disappear!