new shower valve problem

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by richard johnson, Sep 20, 2017.

Tags:
  1. richard johnson

richard johnson New Member

Hi, ok so I've fitted a thermostatic shower valve (concealed), but was unable to test anything prior to tiling. Just turned on the water supply (megaflow system), and I have issues! The valve has a temp control and a control to divert flow to fixed head or hand set. If I crank the flow to handset I get cold water from the handset. If I try to add hot, it stops all together. If I turn the knob to fixed head, I get absolutely nothing, not even a drip. I plumbd it in myself and i'm 99% sure I connected it correct. Fortunately for me both inputs and both outputs are accessible from the loft so i'm hoping unless the valve is faulty I won't have to start smashing my way in through the tiles. Any help on this issue would be appreciated. I'm a tiler by trade but on this occasion I ended up doing the plumbing

2. If a thermo shower shuts off like that, it suggests it's working properly - ie it's safeguarding you against scalds.

Usually the reason is that one of the supplies - usually the cold - has been interrupted.

What make and model is it?

And what supplies is it receiving - is it 'balanced' from similar sources like a CWS tank or combi, or is it not - like a mains cold and cylinder hot?

3. richard johnson

hello, cheers for your reply. I'm a tiler, some of the plumbing lingo is lost on me so bear with me. There's a new megaflow system installed, I ran the pipes from both inputs and outputs into the loft, then connected the two outputs to the handset and fixed head, leaving a hot and cold tail in the loft. The heating guy has left 2 lever valves in what was the airing cupboard on 22mm pipes that run to feed the bathroom. They first tee off to the shower inputs then on to feed the toilet and basin. Toilet and basin are working fine. Don't know the model as I'm not on site but it's a modern one with output control on top, temp on bottom. I've taken the knob off so i'm not limited by the temp regulator insert when i'm cranking the knob if that makes sense?

4. richard johnson

ok found it on google, it's a MODE SPA SQUARE TWIN VALVE WITH DIVERTER

5. Ok, that should be a balanced supply - ie the hot and the cold arrive at the shower valve at the same pressure.

So, that's the limit of my knowledge...

You say you've taken the knob off - so you can sort of override the min/max temp settings? Does that help? Ie - does it sort of work when you do that?

If so, perhaps it just needs setting up? Ie you remove the knob, turn the spindle to a temp that suits and then replace the knob with the 'recommended' temp on it?

Other than that, contact the makers or suppliers (Victoria Plumb?) and give them your symptoms in detail.

6. richard johnson

Yeah I can override the min/max setting but still don't get anything but cold water from the hand set. Even with this issue I can't understand why I get absolutely nothing if I switch to fixed head output. No water hot or cold and not even air or noise or anything. I knew I should have left this to a plumber!

7. C'mon, even tilers can connect up 4 pipes!

Er, can't they...?

It'll be something basic. Possibly even a bit of crud not flushed out of the pipes before commissioning the shower - possibly that's enough to prevent a thermo or valve from operating properly.

8. richard johnson

Like I said, i'm 99% sure I did everything correctly. BUT, i'm doubting myself and want to check everything before I start making calls to suppliers etc. Out of interest what would I be getting if I had connected the hot and cold feeds into the 2 outputs from the valve, thus meaning the handset and fixed head are connected to the valve inputs? Surely whilst opening the control knobs I would get something from the fixed head and handset?

9. Did you install it horiz or vert? Possibly you got confused with which connection to make?

But there's little I can say further from this side of the screen.

Assuming it's similar to this, can you double-check the connections? http://ctb.co.uk/useruploads/files/Twin_and_Triple_with_Diverter.pdf

What would happen if you got any pipe in the wrong place? Well, it wouldn't work...

Anyhoo, I have my own shower to fix now... :(

10. richard johnson

good luck. i'm gonna go and jump in my nice simple aqualisa shower.

11. The Teach

The Teach Screwfix Select

As well mentioned above,the pipes may be in the wrong connections.

But first check the 2 filters in the shower valve,info is in the valve installation instructions on how to find them and take them out.If you dont have the instructions photo the valve with the chrome cover and tap handles off.

good luck.

12. richard johnson

if I have connected the feeds to the outputs and vice versa (which i'm sure I haven't), what effect would this generate? would I still get zero water from the fixed head no matter which way I turn the temp knob?

13. The Teach

The Teach Screwfix Select

The mixer valve could have non return valves,so yes.

Got a pdf for the valve or a link,the filters need checking.