New Square Front Kitchen Worktop - Laminate Lifting at Front Edge

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by teresauk, Dec 18, 2015.

1. teresauk

teresauk New Member

Hello

Wonder if anyone could give me any suggestions please?

I have a worktop a few months old. It has a square front edge. The laminate has lifted at the front edge, a couple of inches away from a joint. WorktopFrontEdge.JPG Worktopjoint.jpg WorktopFrontEdge.JPG Worktopjoint.jpg

The fitter is saying its a manufacturing fault. That the front strip hasnt been sealed properly, has failed and water has got in. He has shown me how the edge is rippling along the length of the worktop, and under the bottom.

The supplier says its poor fitting. Firstly they had an inspection. The report said "These joins do not have the correct tolerance gapping for swelling and so i feel that this as swollen causing the top to be pushed and this as in turn lifted the top laminated surface. I found that all joins were more or less flush to the wall on one side."

I wasnt happy, that didnt make sense. So the senior technician reviewed the report. He says: "I would say that the joint where the 2 worktops meet is poor and has let water into the worktop which has blew the joint but also water has then seeped into the worktop right through to the front in my opinion causing the front edge to swell which is quiet close to the sink."

The joint is biscuited, colourfilled at the top. And there is about a 2mm gap underneath.

My only option now is to get an independent report done, the FIRA one is £125 + VAT. The supplier doesnt belong to any trade associations. I just wondered if anyone had any suggestions on what might cause this? I am sure its a manufacturing fault. The report suggesting it is the joint doesnt make any sense to me, but Im not a tradesman. But before I get the report done I want to make sure there's nothing I might have done to cause the damage.

I know its difficult to say without seeing it, but any thoughts on what to do next?

Many thanks
    Teresa

2. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Are they from Howdens...been a few similar complaints on here recently?

3. teresauk

teresauk New Member

Hi

Thanks, they're from IKEA.

Teresa

4. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Always a tricky situation...fitter will blame work tops, supplier will blame fitter. Forum member ' Devils Advocate' is good with this kind of 'wrangle'...sure he'll drop by at some point.

5. If I'm correct I think I can see a 2mm line of colourfill along the wtp joint?

I've never used colourfill and don't see any need to unless you can't fit worktops, if you need to fill a joint then it's not cut correctly, I may be wrong here, but I bet the front of the joint has let in water.

6. Id just add something as I've re read your post
    If it's blown 2" away from the joint in my opinion if the joint was at fault the joint would of blown first.

7. Interesting avatar, TKI782.

What the?

8. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Has anyone put a warm dish from the microwave on the counter top ?

9. metrokitchens

metrokitchens Screwfix Select

Those square edge tops are notorious for blowing along front edge. Has a damp tea towel been hung over the edge? Water has certainly caused the issue. Need a clearer photo of the join without the shadow to comment on that.
    In my opinion the tops are not fit for purpose as kitchen worktops should be 100% waterproof to the top and front.

10. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Is that a washing machine / dishwasher under the counter ?

11. e30mark

e30mark Member

Sadly, moisture from an external source has got in, nature of the worktop. Ikea tops are cheap for a reason...

12. teresauk

teresauk New Member

Thanks. Well, IKEA now agree that it's a manufacturing fault. The seal along the front edge has gradually failed and water has got in. I think IKEA do great kitchens, they were relying on the independent report. I'm not sure what happened with that inspection, it didn't make a lot of sense. They are going to replace and refit it. Thought after it might not have been in order to post as I'm not the person doing the fitting, thanks for all your comments though. They don't do a worktop that isn't square edged that I can find, so going to have the same again. Teresa