New Thistle Unifinish

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by diymostthings, Feb 26, 2017.

1. diymostthings

diymostthings Well-Known Member

Has anyone tried it yet? As a DIY plasterer it seems ideal - no PVA needed as with "multi" and seems to go over anything (including gloss paint!). Quite expensive though - twice the price of "multi".

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Been around about five years or so,didn't like,& that's being polite, too expensive,prefer my multi finish.
    Might be a different recipe now, but there were issues with it when it first came out.

3. diymostthings

Yes I'm always a bit suspicious when the only glowing reports are from the manufacturer. I get on OK with multi but the PVA stages are a bit tedious and messy (for me) - hence my question. Thanks for that.

4. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Think the trade is divided. I believe that there were problems when it was first introduced...now rectified, so prob still has a bit of a bad rep.
    Only way to find out is to try it.

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Only PVA needed is to prime wall/ceiling & not in the plaster.:)

6. 2shortplanks

2shortplanks Active Member

Used it on a job last year, worked well on walls with variable suction, I'd use it again. Expensive though - the guy in the shop was embarrassed by the price, about double the price of multifinish IIRC. Not sure it's any better than painting on pva, but saves mess and time.

7. diymostthings

Thanks for that feedback 2shortplanks. Well I decided to splash out and bought a 25kg bag (from B and Q - no-one else here stocks it and most had never heard of it!).. will be trying it out over an Artex ceiling tomorrow (knocked of most of the spikes and no - it's not the asbestos type)

Thanks again for replying

8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I don't think your going to like it...:D

And I reckon you'll end up priming ceiling with pva dilute 4-1.:rolleyes:

9. diymostthings

Well I've got to like it now I've spent £12.22!

10. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Could bought two bags of multi finish for that price or a bag of multi finish & 5 ltrs of pva...:p

CGN likes this.