new UPVC window is the drainage path blocked

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by karenDIY, Nov 26, 2014.

1. karenDIY

karenDIY New Member

I have just had new windows fitted, all windows apart from one have a gap at the bottom which i'm told by a friend is a drainage path, will the one that is covered up cause any issues? I have attached two photos one with gap and the other is the window where the gap is covered up. hope ya's can help/advise :) IMG_4118.JPG IMG_4119.JPG

2. Hi Karen.

I'm pretty sure - although not positive - that the drainage gap is actually below the lower plastic cill where you cannot see it. The window frame drains into slots in the top of the cill where they meet, and then drains out under that lower cill on to the concrete cill below.

So the sealed one was done for neatness, I guess. In which case, why not do them all?!

Unless someone on here knows for certain, just give the fitting company a buzz?

karenDIY likes this.
  3. Hi Karen, your instinct is quite right to question this, bottom line is it's wrong.

Why that trim has been fitted is anybody's guess but I suspect perhaps to cover some damage !?

The underside of the frames (less cill) have weep holes in them, these allow water to drain out onto top of cill, water then drains across top of cill dripping from edge of cill clear of wall.

Is the job complete as I would also check if under the cills have been sealed as looks to me like you can see red packer sticking out.

karenDIY likes this.
  4. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Looks like they have run a bead of silicone along the gap, which is not good as the water has nowhere to escape.

Drainage points; these can be concealed (which you have here) or front mounted; either capped or uncapped.

The trim the kswc has mentioned has been fitted I believe to cover the joint between the window and door combi.

karenDIY likes this.
  5. JG, the trim I mentioned is the one that has been fitted along bottom of frame, along cill and then silicone applied along length sealing in the drainage route.

yes there is also trim on the other unit(s) but clearly this is to conceal joint between the two uni

6. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I see it now, not good.

karenDIY likes this.