New Wall Light

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by NewApprentice23, Aug 19, 2017.

1. Guys,

The wife wants new wall light operated via a separate switch. I have ran:

1.5mm cable from switch to new light
    1.5mm cable from ceiling rose to new light

I have uploaded a drawing of the ceiling rose wiring, can you tell me how the new wires should be wired?

If someone could help a brother out that would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Jiten

Jiten Member

Hi mate

The new wire to the ceiling rose.
    Your live will go into the loop of the previous rose
    Your neutral will go into the neutral side of the previous rose

The wire feeding your new light from the previous rose
    Live goes into the loop
    Neutral goes into the neutral side

Your switch wire from the switch (neutral) should be sleeved so that you know it's a switch live. The switch live will go on the live side of the rose and the live wire will go into the loop which is the middle terminal you have in your diagram.

The wiring for the switch

Live wire will go into common
    Neutral will go into L1/L2

This is on the basis that you just need power to your new light and an independent switch for that light.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2017
    NewApprentice23 likes this.
  3. Thanks mate!

I have wired as you described and it works if at the switch I group the common new & old live and L1 neutral new & old but I need them to work independently and when I seperate them for the double switch only the existing light will turn on?

Cheers

4. Jiten

Jiten Member

Sorry mate, I'm confused with what you have said. Are you asking how to have each light on a different switch? Do you have a 2 gang switch?

5. Yes I have a 2 gang switch and need the lights to work independently.

Thanks mate appreciated

6. Only the existing light/switch works with attach pic/wiring.

Attached Files:

7. Jiten

Jiten Member

Do you have normal twin and earth cable or 3 core?

8. Normal twin & earth

9. If he done that the breaker or fuse would blow.

10. Bingo all working! Thanks mate!!!!!

Wife is pleased think I'm going to get some action tonight!

Jiten likes this.
  11. Jiten

Jiten Member

Lol your welcome pal. Not sure where my post of advice went. as long as you got the diagram and it's sorted, all is good

12. Jiten

Jiten Member

Why would you think the breaker or fuse would blow? If the looping system was from the switch (as they now do in new builds), you would be correct that the breaker or fuse would have blown.

13. Your words.If that was done on a single pole light switch it would blow the fuse.
    People read these things and might try and do that with a feed and neutral and then bang.

terrymac likes this.
  14. Jiten

Jiten Member

Fair enough for ppl who may have misunderstood. But if they read the whole forum I'm sure they they would have understood

15. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Deleted member 11267 ,of course you are absolutely correct . connecting live to neutral should never be . Jiten you are referring to switched lives and calling them neutrals ,when referring to the connections at the switch. All conductors on a single pole light switch are LIVE conductors ,irrespective of the colour of the insulation . They Are NOT neutrals.

16. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Switched live should also be sleeved at both ends with brown / red sleeve accordingly (2 versions of wiring colours present)

What have you done with the earth core (cpc) and is the new light 'class 2' (not requiring an earth connection)

Jiten likes this.
  17. Jiten

Jiten Member

I understand what your saying, the terminology used at the time of answering the question seemed appropriate as I wanted to keep it plain and simple for the person asking the question. I could have gone into more depth and given a load of jargun, but I didn't think it would help. But for other people reading the forum the information you have given is necessary to know.

18. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

when I read your post 's Jiten ,I knew exactly what you were conveying to the op. but also realised that anybody with little knowledge of electrics ,could quite easily take your advice and connect a live to a neutral ,at a single pole light switch , and get a very big BANG !! as the op has sorted his problem ,do you think it would be a good idea to delete your posts ,or edit them accordingly ? regards terry.

Deleted member 11267 likes this.
  19. Jiten

Jiten Member

Hi unfortunately I don't have an option to delete anything I have said. But I do want to advise anyone reading this, please read through the forum before taking what has been said into consideration.