New wiring for cooker, hob and hood

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by mkkbb, Aug 6, 2006.

1. mkkbb

mkkbb New Member

Can anyone give me some advice please...

I'm rewiring my kitchen and have a new oven, hob and hood to wire in. Can I do the following (if so how)?

1. Have the oven and hob connected to the same switch above the worktop - i.e. 1 switch to control both appliances?

2. Have the switch for the hob either above the wall cabinets?

3. More preferable, can I have all three appliances controlled by the same 1 switch?

I'm new to wiring but am keen to learn and any help would be very appreciated. Also would it be possible to have answers in easy English please, as some of the messages I've read on here have confused me :)

2. artysparky

artysparky New Member

what type of hob?
    gas/electric?

3. mkkbb

mkkbb New Member

Tanks for your reply. It is a gas hob.

4. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

I'm new to wiring, I'm rewiring my kitchen.

??????????????????????

Mr. HandyAndy - really

5. mkkbb

mkkbb New Member

lol, what I mean is I'm new to wiring kitchen appliances. I've already done the rest of the house, it's just the cooker part that's confusing me.

Basically I just want to connect the oven, hob and hood, but I'd like them to all connect to the same switch, if it is safe and possible. Can I do this, and where would I make the three connect, at the switch or from the CCU?

6. Mr. Handyandy

Don't think you are looking at ONE switch.

If you want more advice(or some advice) you would be better giving more info like ratings of the appliances etc, positions, availability of mcb ways etc.

Not that you'll get any advice from me. I'm just a bystander :)

Mr. HandyAndy - really

7. mkkbb

mkkbb New Member

So you're saying I'd need to have a seperate switch for the hood, one for the hob and one for the oven?

8. Mr. Handyandy

No. I'm saying you are not looking at ONE switch.

Maybe posible to have cooker control unit with socket, hob and oven on cooker connection and hood on plug.

But you still need to know ratings and work it out.

Mr. HandyAndy - really

9. Ripped Off

Ripped Off New Member

As has been said need to know whats what. Assuming cooker is precable with a 13A plug the no reason no to install a double socket instead of a 45A cooker outlet.
    So cooker & hob covered. Extractor fan seperate switch

10. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Too much faffing about..no good. You have three things to cable an extractor..hob ignition..and oven. On the assumption that the oven is one of those MFI or similar kitchen pack items the following could apply (plug in type oven 12 amp or nigh on). The extractor normally has a switch to operate it so leave it at that..the presumption here is that you know how to cable it in so that is sorted. The hob/oven..run a dedicated radial into a D/A box using 2.5mm T+E (however for future proofing 6.0 or 10.0mm would be nice) and break at 20 amp. Use two switched FCU'S and outlet to a D/A behind the oven. Either use 2 x single gang socket outlets to feed the oven/hob ignition or use two FO plates..not to sure if sockets outs are allowed will have to check (fixed appliance and all that, would use them myself though) job sorted. To boot..maybe you should consult a spark as electricity can be dangerous.

11. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Sorry forgot to say after burning in the oven on non RCD side..bang the radial into the RCD side of the CU..

12. mkkbb

mkkbb New Member

Thanks for your reply JP.

The oven I have requires 6mm T&E cable, connected to a cooker point. The manual also says I can connect an oven and hob to the same cooker point, but I'm a bit wary about that as the hob manual doesn't mention that at all.

The ratings are as follow:

Oven: 5.6-6.1kW
    Hob: 3A
    Hood: 23OW

Would that mean I can have all connected to the same switch, or maybe jsut the oven and hob on the same switch? I'm no good working out Volts/Amps/Watts etc.

13. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Would that mean I can have all connected to the same
    switch, or maybe jsut the oven and hob on the same
    switch? I'm no good working out Volts/Amps/Watts etc.

First forget one switch operating everything..possible but potentially dangerous and a direct affront to the regs.

The extractor could be taken of the kitchen ring/radial via a switched FCU this is the norm.

6mm radial into dual accessory box use DP 40 amp switch for the oven and a switched FCU for the hob ignition fused with appropriate cartridge fuse..maybe red 3 amp. You can cable down from the above D/A to behind the oven (note clearances) into another dual accessory box. Leave the segregation plate in and cable as appropriate..6mm to cooker flex out and say 1.5mm or 2.5mm to flex outlet plate (maybe 2.5mm?) or socket outlet (again I would plug the hob ignition in, but I am not to sure on this as it really is a fixed appliance). CU end..32 amp MCB and burn in if necessary off the non RCD side..again I would run in the RCD side but that is open. Once again electricity is dangerous, so it is probably in your best interests to get a spark in to do the job.

14. noconduit

noconduit New Member

Never done this but do you think it would be ok to run 2.5 or 1mm from the cooker switch to 2 unswitched fused spurs that would in turn supply the fan & hob

15. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Never done this but do you think it would be ok to
    run 2.5 or 1mm from the cooker switch to 2 unswitched
    fused spurs that would in turn supply the fan & hob

Bad design..no good.

16. noconduit

noconduit New Member

Probably right.
    But not entirely sure why JP.

17. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Probably right.
    But not entirely sure why JP.

It's messy to say the least. Envisage it and all will become crystal.

18. Mr. Handyandy

Switched fused spur to double socket better ?

Mr. HandyAndy - really

19. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Switched fused spur to double socket better ?

Mr. HandyAndy - really

The ds....behind the cooker?

20. noconduit

noconduit New Member

No- the spurs would be in one of the units out of the way not next to the switch.
    If ok to run a socket off the supply side of the cooker switch then why not 2 3 amp FCUs off load?
    The guys then got his one switch.