Newbie help with ovens

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Jay1985, Jan 20, 2017.

1. Jay1985

Jay1985 New Member

Hi guys,

Doing some DIY at the house and have had the kitchen refurbished, had it rewired as well. I am basically trying to figure out before my mate who's a sparky comes back next week to finish off some info.

He has got a 40amp MCB in the board with a 6mm cable from that that runs in to the back of one of the above kitchen units for the double oven we are having below that. What I wanted to know is how does the oven connect to the wiring from here? Does the 6mm wiring terminate into a cooker switch and then the oven just plugs in to that with a 13amp plug (Like this one- http://www.screwfix.com/p/mk-2-gang-45a-dp-cooker-switch-with-13a-switched-plug-socket-white/17157 ? Or into something like- http://www.screwfix.com/p/mk-45a-cooker-connection-unit-white/16686

The oven is a Bosch HBM13B251B

Just want some knowledge before he finishes it off next week, I am a trainee as well so any info would be much appreciated.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

2. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

The conventional way is to terminate the cooker tails in to a cooker outlet plate (like your second link) and the appliances are wired on to that. However, there is no reason why you cannot run the 6mm2 T&E directly from the cooker switch to the appliance if the cable is long enough (your first link). But no you don't plug anything in with a 13A plug! No plugs or sockets should ever be used for a double oven, only the two methods I described.

3. Jay1985

Jay1985 New Member

Cheers Unphased, is a 40A MCB ok? The double oven has a 'Electrical connection' of 4.4kw. .

4. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

You will need to de rate MCB to 20amp

5. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

So many questions about an installation undertaken by the 'electrician', and how 'the electrician' intends to proceed, call me cynical, just saying :rolleyes:
    Leave it to the spark, the spark knows his job, if you're not a spark then get a spark.
    How many times .......
    And if you are indeed a 'trainee', surely asking the spark is a jolly good place to get the answers?:cool:

6. slippyr4

slippyr4 Member

Indeed. If a "trainee" can't figure out a breaker rating from a power figure then maybe he's training for the wrong career.

7. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

The installation instructions for this appliance state:

Connecting the appliance to the power supply
    Only a licensed professional may connect the appliance.

The fuse protection must correspond to the power rating specified on the appliance's rating plate and to local regulations.

Just saying.

8. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Of course you wouldn't. The circuit cable is sized according to the rating of the mcb. A standard cooker circuit wired in 6mm2 cable has a 32A mcb. In this case 40A but no issues. Why would you derate it 20A? You appear to misunderstand.

9. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

As UP says. You do not need to - unless the manufacturer's instructions specify that a fuse/MCB of a specific rating must be used.

10. Sparkielev

No misunderstanding, just dived in without thinking

11. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

Exactly what you did to that woman at the top of the stairs? :p:p:p

Sparkielev likes this.
  12. Sparkielev

If I had dived in don't id of come back out

Joe95 likes this.