Newel posts repair

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Madmattmcmad, Apr 18, 2015.

1. Madmattmcmad

Madmattmcmad New Member

I've got to repair some old newel posts as they're really wobbly and unsafe. I was going to remove the two handrail sections (it's pretty much out anyway), lift up the newels (as they are decorative newel posts set into a stub base) and reglue them. Probably stick a screw through the newel base and through the dowel bit of the decorative post to tie it all down, leaving a nice solid post to redo the handrails into.
    It turns out that the dowel bit of the post is 3/4" round and maybe 2" long, no wonder it's so wobbly! I'm not really sure where to go now, they are old and have to be kept as part of the build spec.. But how to do it, anyone got any good ideas?

Ta.

2. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Sounds fairly recent to be done that way.

What you need to do is cut off the dowel and drill it using a 35mm spade bit nice and deep. You can drill an off cut of 18mm mdf with a 35mm hole and screw it to the newel to act as a guide. Drill it as deep as you can. Then do the same to the post and then using 35mm mopstick as a loose tenon glue it up with 30 minute PU glue. You will need to probably redrill it a bit to get the post plumb and square on.

Hard work and a king sized pain but best way and once its glued up it will be rock solid.