Newel Posts

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by way318, May 24, 2015.

1. way318

way318 Member

Hi, I am looking for some advise on how to replace my current Newel posts, Hand & base rails and spindles. I am ok with changing the Hand & base rails and Spindles, its just the newel post I am unsure about as I don't know how they have been secured. Can anyone offer any advise, I've tried to attached some pictures of what is currently fitted, so hope its worked.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks[​IMG][​IMG]

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Very nice as it is.o_O

Can't see how you can improve it.

3. way318

way318 Member

I agree, but we are changing the internal doors from the current white ones to oak, so wanted the stairs to follow the same theme. We were looking at square newels, oak hand & base rails and spindles which have a brushed stainless steel in the middle.

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

:(:(:(:(

No character, strip it back.

[​IMG]

5. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

It's an easy job to do but with kids in the house why bother, give your wife something else to think about. :):)

6. way318

way318 Member

I've thought about stripping it back, but still not sure what to do.

7. way318

way318 Member

How easy is it to do, as all the info/videos I can seem to find nothing seem to suit?

I'm assuming the bottom newel is secured by screws to the stair case as i've not got floor boards down stairs but I guess the top one is secure to the floor joists prior the to builders fitted the floor boards.

To be honest its more me than the wife, she is quite happy with the way it is. I'm also trying to avoid having to rub it down and paint it every time we decorate.

8. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

To replace the newels will require a serious amount of butchery, google replacing newel posts and look at the images.

P1130073.jpg

Maybe a better option would be to clad the newels and stairs in oak, again google clad your stairs and look at the images to get an idea.

cc6b18e8f57a0533000d80978962b93f.jpg

And of course you would want to clad the stringer also.

Price it up, materials and labour and you may find that you would be better off replacing the stairs

9. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

You cut the newel off and dowel a new one on top, don't do it, leave it as it is.

FatHands likes this.
  10. way318

way318 Member

Thanks Wiggy, since reading your post about cladding I've been searching on google. I can find pictures etc but can't seem to find any suppliers of the bits. Do you know of any?

Also, as per chippie244 saying I could cut the old newel off and replace the top half and using dowel (or some other fixing method). Is this wise as not sure how strong it would be or would that depend on what method I used to join the 2 parts together?

11. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I normally use a broom handle cut down as the dowel.

12. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Look up pin newels, or don't do it, or employ a chippie.

KIAB likes this.
  13. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

A good link.

Pin newels certianly make the job easier nowadays, a bad habit using broom handles for dowels, but I was shown that trick, over 30 years ago, by a old joiner.

14. way318

way318 Member

What depth would you go in each newel - 150mm?

15. way318

way318 Member

Can't really afford to employ a chippy as on a tight budget, but want to do something with it rather than nothing.

16. seen it all before

seen it all before Active Member

Do not use a broom handle as a dowel. It will not be anywhere near strong enough.

17. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Was sometimes 50mm, but usually nearer 90mm depth,& 180mm long dowel,it depended on the size of the newel used.

18. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

I think your first step would be to research how staircases are made, it will give you more of an understanding.

What are your skill levels?

19. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

So you have no money, no idea and your Mrs doesn't want it and you're persisting with oak ballusters with a brushed stainless steel detail in a tiny house. :eek::eek:

JamieTheJoiner likes this.
  20. way318

way318 Member

Cheers, what size dowel should I use with a 80 x 80 newel post?