Newly painted deck still tacky

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Sarah McLennan, Dec 30, 2016.

1. Sarah McLennan

Sarah McLennan New Member

Hi all

Just looking for a bit of advice as I am out of my depth!

We have recently had our house repainted by a professional painter, who we asked to repaint our front wooden deck, which was previously painted but quite worn. He repainted it with Dulux Weathershield High Gloss paint with grit mixed into it to prevent it being so slippery.

The deck looks great, but it has been just over two weeks and is still very sticky to walk on - it feels like your feet are sticking to the paint, and a lot of leaves and dirt seem to be stuck onto the paint. We live in Australia and it has been very humid and rainy over the past couple of weeks, and it was humid and rainy when it was being painted.

I emailed our painter just to check and he said that it is likely sticky due to the type of paint and recommended we give it a scrub with warm water and soap and a hose down - which we have but it has made zero difference.

My question is - is this normal? Am I just being impatient and it will eventually not be sticky? Or do I need to contact the painter to come back and check it out - I get the feeling he is not really interested in coming back.

Thanks for any advice

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Hello Sarah, welcome, we are a UK forum, but don't let that put you off, we will sort the problem.:)

Well, I heard it all now, Dulux Weathershield High Gloss with grit added, definitley the wrong product to put on decking for walking on.
    You can get proper anti slip stains & finishes for decking, your painter sounds like he a bit of a cowboy, a dodgy tradesman.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2016
  3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

4. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Kind of strange asking you to hose down - waterproof paint :rolleyes:

Are you sure he used actual Dulux paint or some left over paint in a Dulux tin? I have seen economy paint over here take weeks to stop being tacky.

One way to test the surface is to try wafting a warm (not hot) hair dryer over it for a few minutes and then leave it to cool. All you want to do is remove some of the surface moisture but not soften the paint. Once cooled if it is still tacky then there is only one option I can think of - is to sprinkle powdered chalk over the surface. It will look a bit dull for a while but as you use the deck will wear off pretty quickly.

5. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

I'd take a pressure washer to it as soon as. Might be lucky to remove the lot before it has chance to cure(if it ever does!).

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

KIAB likes this.
  6. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Probably 'stuck' with it now!

7. Mr. Handyandy

We'll just 'gloss' over that pun.

koolpc and btiw like this.
  8. Sarah McLennan

Sarah McLennan New Member

Thanks for all the replies - I think my question is answered and he has definitely done the wrong thing!

I'll give the chalk idea a go - fingers crossed! Can't we believe we spent so much money on this disaster!

Happy new year!

9. Mr. Handyandy

Yer. Only 14 hours to go!