newly qualified carpenters wage ?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by bug09, Feb 25, 2009.

1. bug09

bug09 New Member

hi,
    im working with a building company as a apprentice carpenter but in may i will have completed a 2 year carpentry course which will make me a level 2 qualified carpenter just wondering if anyone knows the kind of wage i should be asking for because i don't know were to start.

2. wise uncle

wise uncle New Member

In today's climate, i would take what you could get.
    It would depend on wether you can be left on jobs on your own & can think for yourself, Or if you need kicking up the backside all day.
    There are plenty of experienced tradesmen losing jobs on a daily basis, so try not to get greedy with wages as you could be worth keeping on a lower wage until this **** sorts itself out.

3. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Very wise words uncle.

4. Could not of put it much better myself Uncle. If it was me I would just keep my mouth shut and take whatever they offer you. I have dropped my rates from £150 a day to £80 just to keep competetive. Until this industruy picks up just keep your self to your self and grab what you can.

5. bug09

bug09 New Member

thanks for the advice the thing about working fo this building company its not just carpentry so my skills are stretch to building works,electrics,bricklaying and all sorts of things,so they wouldnt be just getting a carpenter but someone who knows a bit of most things and i work on my own and with my other collegues as a team.

6. the best (probably)

the best (probably) New Member

time to pack it in .you can not make money at £80 a day.costs of running a business ,van, tools,advertising,insurance etc.you cant work for nothing.unless you are an illegal imigrant.

7. terry ball

terry ball New Member

don't know were to start.

Why do trainee/ apprentices think coz they pass an exam they suddenly turn into tradesman and want more money.
    It takes years of experience to earn good money.

8. molewill

molewill New Member

hi it depends if it was a full 4 year apprentice and have passed skills test or not? in my first year i was on 2.65 hr then 4 quid an hr then third year was 6.50 then 9 an hr just passed ma skills test so should b up more but am just grateful for having a job at the min

9. damo150

damo150 New Member

There is no way you will learn joinery just by attending a course in two years, let alone brickying, elecs or anything else for that matter. What you have done is cover a small part of it. 2 years joinery class does not make you "qualified" in anything, the best you would expect is apprentice or if your lucky minimum wage. In fact your lucky if your not paying an employer to be taught a trade nowadays.

10. nothing.unless you are an illegal imigrant.

I do not have any over heads other than my van and insurance so I can afford to work at £80 a day. Not the best money in the world but around here it is saturated with joiners and its a serious cut throat business. Just last week I was recommended to someone to fit a B&Q kitchen I quoted £600 but last year I would have wanted £900, 2days later the clients called me up and said we have had a quote of £350 can you match it !! I said no thanks. Thats how bad it is.

11. Trog

Trog New Member

Blimey joiner, £7.00 per hour. You're selling yourself short there. In fact it's people like you that make it impossible for the rest of us to make a living because there is no way the majority of tradesmen could survive on that. Run a van, pay for saw blades and other consumables, tax, mortgage, kids blah blah, blah. Don't get me started ***.

12. Trog

Trog New Member

woops meant to be £9.00 per hour, typo. Really

13. Trog do not think for one min I am working for £80 because I want too its a case of having too to keep up with the million and one othe joiners & kitchen fitters that have all of a sudden become domestic joiners. I have mainly worked for the domestic sector and built up a good rep and nearly all my work is via recommendations, but in this climet no one cares how good you are its a case of how cheap you are. But once the building industry picks back up and all these over night joinery business's dissapear because they are earning more back on the sites that's when the customers will have wished they had used someone like myself. It * me off the fact I am having to think twice when quoting because of the amount of joiners that will undercut me.

[Edited by: admin6]

14. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I don't know if you're trying to be ironic but having "The Joiner & Kitchen Fitter" as a user name and then moaning about joiners and kitchen fitters is a bit strange.

15. supachip

supachip New Member

I think in current times and work being a bit scarce. If you do get the oppertunity to price for a job the last thing you want is to let it go.
    No 2 people have the same lifestyles . We all have diffrent expectations the question is how low do you price a job to keep your head above water. Customers are looking at the bottom line not whats involved. At the moment id rather have a steading flow of work and earn a bit less . Or tag on to the 3million .

16. Chippie244 I am moaning about all the joiners who have set up over night you know here today gone tomorrow type. I have been self employed in the domestic sector for over 6 years I have not just come off a new build site and set up like half of them around here and then once the new build sites re open they go straight back on to site and dont give a stuff about the customers.

17. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

How are they getting all your customers? How long did it take to build up your reputation. You said you get all your work by recommendation so don't drop your prices too much. You have an advantage, use it.

18. supachip

supachip New Member

You cant blame a guy who wants to work and earn money to support themselves and familys. You could also say for 6 years you have had little competition around you. In the last recession a lot of trades packed in the building game. At present you just have to make the best of what comes along.

19. Trog

Trog New Member

How low are you prepared to go ***. Have you no concept of how much your skills are worth. If a client wants a cheap job then tell them that's what they're gonna get. F++{ parasites. F%%3^ em. I'd rather stack shelves in Tescos then go to work with a heavy heart. I pride myself in doing a good job at a reasonable rate and that's it. If they want to screw me down then I tell them straight. You get what you pay for. I'm 46 and been in this game all my life.My Old man was a Joiner/ cabinet maker and soon as I was old enough to pick up a saw it was all I wanted to do. I've busted my nuts all my life and lost an eye in the process but still love my job and I will give my all to ensure my customers will get a top class job with no come backs. I'm still busy but if tradesmen bow to pressure then we will all get well and truly shafted. Ask your client if they're willing to take a 20% pay cut.

20. gavin-t

gavin-t New Member

Im a newly set up self employed joiner after being made redundant after 7 years on the books, went through my apprenticeship with them and everything. Does this mean when the building trade picks up i will just stop caring about my customers???

NO!!!!!!!

A bit harsh to tar everyone with the same brush, joinery and kitchen fitter? Im sure you wouldn't have liked the same being said of you when you set up six years ago?

Im subtracting on site and also doing residential joinery too and when things pick up i will do more residential joinery as i prefer it.

Gavin.