Next door neighbour changed their felt roofing but it's overlapping my felt roof by 6 inches

Discussion in 'Getting Started FAQ' started by Deeman, Mar 14, 2017.

1. Deeman

Deeman New Member

Hi,

I hope there's some felt roofing experts that can help. My next door neighbour recently got a builder to replace their felt roofing some weeks ago (mine and next doors felt roof is shared between our properties). A week ago I was cleaning my front door, I looked up at my roof and noticed the next door neighbours felt roof is overlapping my roof by a fair distance. Spoke to my neighbour who gave me their builders phone number - the explanation the builder gave was a) he needed to overlap my neighbours felt by 6 inches on top of my roofing for safety reasons, he said the shared felt roof slopes slightly downwards from my side to the neighbours side so the neighbour would be getting all the rain water his way (the neighbour has a gutter on the side of his house, we have no gutter for the front of our houses next to the felt roof). He said if he was able to go under my felt roofing he could reduce the overlapping to 3 inches ??? (Not sure why this is).

Has anyone heard of the above as a reason to overlap so much onto someone else's felt roofing. Also the builder didn't even tell me or ask permission to do the overlap, on the day of the work I noticed they were near my boundary but I didn't realise what they did until recently. What I don't understand is why he couldn't have overlapped a smaller length (3 inches or less), the builder said he would come and rectify if I wasn't happy, are there implications if I ask him to reduce the overlap onto my roof and by how much can I ask him to reduce it by ?

Part of me thinks the overlap should be minimal and should only go a little onto my side after all it's my felt roofing lol.

What does everyone think about this ? Any help or advice is appreciated.

Deeman

2. SWBUILDERS

SWBUILDERS Active Member

Overlap is essential unless you don't mind water in you garage, personally if the water is falling from your side to your neighbours the his should be underneath yours but at least 100mm min, this is needed as cover from driven rain. I would be inclined to remember that when your garage roof fails then you will need to do the same and if you upset your neighbour you could find yourself in the same situation

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  3. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

You don't seem to have a basic understanding of how water runs and drains.

The reason that the builder said 3" if he underlapped is as simple as the water is flowing away from the joint and apart from a slim chance of a capillary action wouldn't get under the joint.

By overlapping he has the joint in the water flow so has given it a better chance of not leaking by doubling up on overlap which I assume is glued down with liquid Bitumen.

As for coming in to your property it would have be the done thing to say something, but for the purpose of maintenance he is perfectly within the law in doing do.

As said above, when its time to do your roof, you will be in a similar position, though having said that, now there is a 6" overlap you could just go back to the boundary line.

Deleted member 33931 and wiggy like this.