nipping 8mm pipe with pliers

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by sutra, Mar 21, 2014.

1. sutra

sutra Member

Looking to take out a bathroom radiator to tile behind it without draining the system. I'll need to cut and reroute the pipe for a new towel rail anyway so is it OK to use pliers to crimp the pipes and cut above to remove radiator?

2. BuilderMCR

BuilderMCR Active Member

Then you will need to cut below the crimp before connecting it to anything.

3. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

close both valves, slowly undo one side, there should not be any pressure of water but it will gulp out from the rad, If there IS pressure there, it might be one of the valves is passing, but if there is no pressure, undo the other side cover the open valve tails with your hands as you lift the rad off, I'm assuming here you have two hands and they will span the width of the radiator, then carry it out, crimping pipes is not a good idea,

FatHands likes this.
  4. BuilderMCR

BuilderMCR Active Member

He still needs to cut and reroute the pipe for his towel rail. So still have to drain down. Only takes an hour at the most to drain down and refil. Stop being lazy :p

5. sutra

sutra Member

I realise I need to drain at some point, but crimping the pipe will allow me to get the tiling and preparatory work done for a new towel rail without having to do a rushed job. Still need the heating working as it's been frosty up here last couple of mornings. Once everything is in place I can drain, cut the pipe and connect everything back up.

I wasn't sure if simply crimping the 8mm pipe was likely to work or would it split / leak.

Cheers

6. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

Some times works sometimes it dosnt why not use a 8mm compression stop end

7. sutra

sutra Member

I thought about using a push fit or compression stop end but was worried that water would be flying out when I was trying to fit it and also that the pipe would be out of shape after cutting which would prevent a good seal. I've got old twin entry valves and there is little room to work with a pipe slice so would have to saw.

8. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

Just take the pressure off the system, partially drain down, have a few old towels handy and a plastic bowel cut and fit. Simples. or if its an open vent system just bung it.

9. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

I really can't see the problem. I f you are in a hurry to tile, then do as everyone suggests, just drain the rad & remove. You can drain the system later and then mod the pipework to suit the towel rail at your leisure.

10. Cavedude13

Cavedude13 New Member

If there twin port valves more than likely it's still open vented so bung it like Dave does gas said! Crimp will work though.