No earth!

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Unicorn, Nov 2, 2015.

1. Unicorn

Unicorn Member

Just done a board change for a customer, the previous installation was and old wylex board with a single rcd isolator. The cable is all aluminium so must have been put in the early 70's. It is an ex council house so I presume it had been wired properly to the then current regs.
    When I came to the lighting circuit I found that the Earth at the db had been cut off! Woah I thought, not good, so managed to pair it back and get a connector on and connect it up to the board. Checked various points on the lighting circuit in the property to find that all the earths I cam across had been cut off, so in essence there is no earth on the whole lighting system.
    i am presuming that the rcd must have been an addition to the original installation as I don't think they were around in the early 70's, but why would someone cut off al, the earths! Has anyone come across this before as I am somewhat bemused.
    I have told the customer about it, and advised him that quite simply it is not safe, however the reality is that it is no more unsafe than it was before, well in fact a little bit safer. He has yet to decide what he wants to do, but this may turn out to be an expansive job for him.
    Hope someone can shed some light (pardon the pun)

2. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

You say the 70s, but could it be pre 1966, if so there wasn't any cpc (earth) on lighting circuits back then, so maybe it older than it appears.

3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Seen that on a few places over the years.

Present place I'm in, several light fitting were like that,earth cut back, & this shack was rewired in the early 80's I think, have since rewire them.:)

4. stu1312

stu1312 Member

I suggest you read section 10 of this for guidance: http://www.electricalsafetyfirst.org.uk/mediafile/100423440/Best-Practice-Guide-1-Issue-3-.pdf

Also what testing did you conduct prior to the exchange of the consumer unit? It's very poor practice to conduct a consumer unit exchange without doing basic testing prior installation to indentify any faults that will need rectifying.

If you have left it connected what have you detailed on the EIC you issued the customer?

5. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

Rare to see aluminium, usual tinned copper. It is around, and noticeable not by colour, but by how soft and brittle it is.

There was a period when twin and earth appeared, but older sparks continued installing as they had done previously and just snipped the earths out.

6. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

Don't ever recall aluminium in a domestic situation. There was a period in the mid 70's when copper was short in supply so they introduced copper clad cable. It was an aluminium conductor with a copper coating. Torque screwdrivers were required to ensure the connections were not overtightened. Terrible stuff to work with as I recall.

Kind regards

7. Lectrician

There is a small estate near me where all houses have the lighting circuit wired with the copper clad aluminium cable. It is very rare. We get calls there all the time where people have swapping fittings and end up with no lights due to snapped terminations. My local village hall is also riddled with it.

8. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Super Member

Aluminum conductors were larger in x section than copper. (for obvious reasons) Work hardened very easily. Corroded easily as well.
    Earths probably snipped when rcd started tripping and some untrained monkey with no test gear or experience was called in to sort the problem.
    RS

9. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

If memory serves me right it was only around for about a year if that before copper came available again. Do you use torque drivers or reconnect by touch?

10. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Put the appropriate label on the c/unit and note it on the EIC, check that there are no metal light switches or fittings.

FatHands likes this.
  11. retiredsparks

And, use plastic 3.5 mm PLASTIC screws in light switches to insulated totally...used that technique from 15 years ago.
    RS

12. Lectrician

In the late 60s and early 70s the metal back boxes often had plastic lugs rather than metal. Standard metal M3.5mm screws could be used.

13. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

2 doors down from me. The old boy (84) was converting his attic to a bedroom doing the work himself. He called me in to have a look at a ceiling rose that was now in the wrong place. The cabling in the house had been touched for over 50 years, there were all sorts of old cable in there from old rubber coated , live and neutral ran through single cables, horrible wooden junction boxes, and as mentioned earlier - no earth, a lovely wooden backed consumer unit with fuse wire and of course his own bodges over the years.

I refused to anywhere near it (and so did the electician) that lives between us until he gets it sorted. His answer he didn't understand what the fuss was about as it had been ok since he moved in and didn't want the mess - despite having the attic open before it was boarded and wanting to fit an upstairs bathroom with an electric shower ..... grrr

14. stateit

stateit Screwfix Select

Or use the Screwfix LAP switch plates with the plastic covers over the screw holes.

15. Unicorn

Unicorn Member

Interesting replies, it would appear there is more of it than I thought.
    Had a good chat with the customer and I am going to take the lighting circuit apart and see if we can get the earths connected, so should be interesting.
    I have a feeling that this was done by someone when there was a problem with the lighting circuit and by cutting out the earths - problem solved.
    Anyway, will have a crack at it and see what transpires.
    Thanks for the input guys.
    And Stu1312, totally agree, should have tested before, note to self, read, eat and digest guidance notes!

16. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

I tried to reconnect earth wires cut off like you describe in the Falklands after spending ages re-connecting found there was one junction box in the ceiling which I could not access so all work was in vain. Only doing a favour so no time to worry about, but clearly you can't charge for half a job so I would be wary at reconnecting only needs one connection you can't reach.

I have thought about that job many times, I was not happy having not finished the work, I have wondered if I could have fitted two earth rods either side of building, but like you back then I did not test enough and not a clue if the generator actually had a earth tapping? So it could have been TN-S or IT I have not a clue. Some 30 years ago now just didn't think to check.

I also made an error on one farm did not realise the generator was centre tapped so needed fuses in what looked like the neutral but was in fact line 2. It is so easy to make mistakes and I welcomed the inspecting and testing which had a huge boost with Part P. Yes we should have done it before but first time I was allowed a loop impedance tester was around 1995 it was just not part of our kit. Yes we had a low ohm meter but using one of them was a big job to test earths compared with plugging in and pressing button. Result was general lack of testing.

17. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

So its been ok for donkeys years like that but as soon as you fit an RCD protected consumer unit someone is going to get fried? I doubt it. If they were going to meet their maker then surely it would happen before the new unit was fitted.

That leaflet above makes it sound so simple, I presume we just follow it to the letter and then pop along and get our 11% pay rise just like the MPs did.

Unicorn likes this.
  18. Unicorn

Unicorn Member

I suspect it has been done for a reason, probably a fault on the earth system somewhere. The customer knows that this could cause more problems and looking at the pendants it would appear that a the looped live system has not been used, so there is a likelihood that a JB has been used somewhere. We shall see how we get on and hopefully get it right. A partial rewire has been mentioned and he is ok with that if it comes to it.

19. retiredsparks

If the custom want to change all the switches...good idea.....
    RS

20. stateit

stateit Screwfix Select

I've still to find a source of spares for those little plastic buggers. I guess write to the manufacturer to find out... I hate visiting a property with them in place as they always get gouge marks when you poke them out.