no earthing point in small consumer unit

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Colin_S, Oct 12, 2014.

1. Colin_S

Colin_S New Member

Hello all

hopefully someone can help me? i am installing power from my main consumer unit to my shed.
    The small consumer unit i bought (http://www.screwfix.com/p/wylex-ip65-insulated-enclosure-with-visor/74436) doesn't have an earthing point. what am i suspose to do with the earth cable (10mm) that im connecting up to the RCD? Can i connect it to the meal "runner" that the RCD connects to?

the plan is to run power from main cosumer unit ---> small consumer unit -----> shed consumer unit (when shed/garden is ready)

2. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Surely there must be a small earth bar in the housing somewhere - strange. In the reviews it sais there is no earth point in the enclosure - don't understand none of it tbqh.

3. Colin_S

Colin_S New Member

There is only a small hole in the metal which I assume I use as an earth? Otherwise thats all there is

Attached Files:

4. Colin_S

Colin_S New Member

This has not been connected to the main box yet. What do u think?

Attached Files:

5. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

I suppose you could bolt eyed earths at that point but the pan head would have to go on the outside and the lugs inside? There must be a purpose made brass strip with say what two to three holes in it Colin? Maybe you would tuck it up in one of the top corners of the unit? It would be floating though.

6. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

I don't really know Col tbqh m8. I would pay a little more attention to the cable strip lengths however because there is to much copper showing, but as for the earth,,Sen?

7. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

FatHands likes this.
  8. Colin_S

Colin_S New Member

Ok, that makes sense. Ill pop up tomorrow and get one and make sure the copper is trimmed a bit. Could you confirm if this senario would work once i get the correct consumer box.

Main CU (free 50a mcb) -----> small CU (80a rcd) -------> consumer unit in shed.

can i connect to the small CU directly to the CU in the shed just from the RCD?

Last edited: Oct 12, 2014
  9. flateric

flateric Well-Known Member

Far too much exposed copper :)

10. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

don't understand why they need a consumer unit, it could be avoided.

What cable will be used between the CU and shed CU?

11. Colin_S

Colin_S New Member

i'll trim the copper so no wire is exposed, as for consumer unit being used between house and shed, basically due to renivation in the house it was an opportunity to install the cable (10mm), however the garden and shed is not ready. so i install a consumer unit at the end of the house in preperation for when i do need to install the power to the shed.

i'm going to istall a 80a rcd with a 50a mcb,

12. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

What type of cable will you be installing between the CU and shed CU?

From the house CU what is the size of breaker you are coming off and is it protected (RCD) or un-protected (main switch side)?

13. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

I think you are using too many CUs, Colin. Basically, you just need a circuit from the main CU that goes directly to your shed where you would put the new 2-way CU. I should wait until you have the shed and prepared the garden for a cable then run the new circuit in its entirety. Have you thought about the cable from the house to the shed?

50A supply to a shed is unnecessary, 16A would suffice. 10mm2 cable to a shed is expensive. If you use 16A supply keep it to 2.5mm2 and much cheaper.

14. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Concur Un. Lets say there is going to be some lights and a socket in the shed/summerhouse with no ideas of machinery etc. Then a small heater and the lights and tv dictates that a 2.5mm SWA (vd checked first though) broke at 20 will more then suffice in the majority of cases.

15. spinlondon

spinlondon Screwfix Select

I wouldn't call that a Consumer Unit.
    If you need an earthing point , just use a choc block.

FatHands likes this.