No hot water – help please

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by div, Jul 27, 2015.

1. div

div New Member

No hot water – help please

We have a grant vortex boiler connected to an oso hot water super coil (indirect) and an ufh system.

UFH works fine.

Everything was working fine until the summer when the UFH went off – now we do not have any hot water – even if we switch on the UFH.

a.) Not sure if it is the boiler circulation pump – if this was knackered would the UFH still work, could the UFH pump still circulate the water through the boiler. (Might be a daft question).

b.) The hot water valve seems to work, I took it off and it seems to operate fine but the pipe leading to the oso only gets warm to half way up (after the valve). Would an airlock stop the flow – there is a automatic vent on the return side of the coil. With it open no water or air seems to come out, i.e. screw removed.

c.) Fiddling with the thermostat on the coil seems to activate the valve/boiler.

What should I look for before calling for a plumber – using the immersion heater is becoming expensive ?

Thanks

2. plumber-boy

plumber-boy Well-Known Member

Have you tried manually opening the valve for the hot water with the lever on the side of the valve??

3. div

div New Member

yes, and it does not seem to improve things.

it would not seem it was the valve - but then it could be.

thanks

4. plumber-boy

plumber-boy Well-Known Member

When you use the override does it fire the boiler and pump though?

5. div

div New Member

the boiler fires, I am not sure about the pump

how can i tell if that is working, the UFH works fine - if the boiler pump has failed surely the UFH would not work?

6. Plumberbish

Plumberbish Active Member

The ufh has its own pump usually just before its manifold, but there should be one that comes on regardless of whether it's heating or hot water that is callin for heat

7. Plumberbish

Take the cover off the pump and see if it livens up when the hw is calling

8. div

div New Member

Will try that - although if the boiler circulation pump has failed would the ufh still work?

Thanks

9. Plumberbish

Yeah as it should have its own pump as part of the ufh manifold

10. HandySally

HandySally New Member

With my old Boiler the Heating would only come on if you ran the Hot water tap. Bizarre but true.