No Hot Water From Boiler?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Turtletom100, Aug 31, 2014.

1. Turtletom100

Turtletom100 Member

Hi guys
    I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions and possible approximate costs for repair, the issue I have got is that about 6 months ago my combi boiler wasn't firing up all the time to heat up hot water or for central heating. Over the months it has become worse and worse to a point it does not fire up at all, the boiler pilot light is on and when hot water is turned on or the heating is turned on the boiler sounds like it wants to fire up but just isn't (you can normally see a set of flames where the pilot flame is through the see through viewer)
    I have turned the pressure up to about 1.3 bar which is what I have being told is recommended. I am not sure what this could be so any help would be appreciated.
    I do live in a private rented accommodation but the landlord is being an absolute d**k so if needs be I will have to pay get it done ASAP as I have children and I will chase my landlord up. I just want hot water again. I also belive it is against the law for my landlord not to be repairing this but I will have to check that out.

For time being I just want to know what the problem could be and an approximate cost to getting this fixed I am not qualified to open the boiler so unless there is an easy fix that is out the question.

If there is any more information I can upload I will do my best. Just let me know

Cheers in advance

Tom

2. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

As your renting, the landlord does have a legal obligation. Chase him and remind him he does have a legal obligation to ensure you have hot water and heating under the Landlord and Tenant Act 1985 http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1985/70

Might get him frightened,,,,,,,,,,;);)

3. Turtletom100

Turtletom100 Member

Cheers for the reply. I would but the number I have has being changed and I haven't being given new one. So the other way to make contact is via a letter (if they still living in the same property)
    I have read elsewhere to go to environmental services and they will get involved. As it stands i have spoke to the company that has being used for the past 3 years for my gas safety inspection (heatcraft ltd) and not only do I have this issue my gas safety inspection was due in July but apparently the landlord Is ignoring their reminder letters. (That's the only reason I have left it, because I was going to say to the guy that does the safety check and he normally repairs it and bills the landlord) where this hasn't being done either that way has not work. I have checked my pressure all round and there is no air in my rads the boiler pressure is about 1.3 bar now but still nothing.

4. Glad its Friday

Glad its Friday Active Member

Sounds like it needs a good service. I personally wouldn't risk using it until it has been checked out.

You could be within your rights to pay and get it fixed and the landlord cert as well with the company that previously did it. Then withhold that amount from next months rent.

You need advice, local council should be quite hot on this, CAB could help.

5. G&W Plumbing & Heating

G&W Plumbing & Heating Active Member

Don't pay any rent simple, ask him for the annual gas "landlord certificate" get it done yourself & take it out the rent money

6. plumberboy

plumberboy Well-Known Member

Yes G&W is right,your landlord has obligations he or she must fulfill.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2014
  7. G&W Plumbing & Heating

Do you want a price ;) £ :)

8. plumberboy

No thanks.:)

9. G&W Plumbing & Heating

Not you silly?... You couldn't afford me :)

plumberboy likes this.
  10. plumberboy

I know.:(:(