No more nails on tiles.

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by Ro55_Th0ms0n, Jun 18, 2015.

1. Ro55_Th0ms0n

Ro55_Th0ms0n Member

im currently having a small wc tiled downstairs. I have notice that when tilting some boxed pipes the tiler used no lee nails instead of adhesive in this area and the same when tiling my window ledge, is that suitable?

2. Have the tiles fallen off?

If not, then it's suitable.

(But not ideal practice. It should be ok, tho', as long as the adhesive isn't so thick that it allows enough movement to crack the grout.)

3. Ro55_Th0ms0n

Ro55_Th0ms0n Member

No he has only literally just put them up today. It's just worries me I didn't think you were supposed to use that stuff on tiles.

4. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Nothing wrong with using such an adhesive on boxing in. In fact it probably sticks better than tile adhesive to a wooden/mdf substrate (assuming that's what the boxing in is made of) ;);)

5. Ro55_Th0ms0n

Ro55_Th0ms0n Member

It's made of ply and 2 by 4 yeah.

6. I guess 'boxing in' will have more movement, so 'no nails' will be less likely to fail than a brittle tile adhesive.

I'm sure it'll be fine, and was probably chosen for good reason. I hope the grout is a decent type that'll cope with some small flexibility/movement that the ply will very likely have.

7. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

I used to build kitchen displays for B&Q. These were built on to a framework on wheels, then transported to their stores. The kitchen displays were fully tiled (as per the build instructions) We always used gripfill/ no more nails/ sticks like ****, to fix the tiles as tile adhesive used to allow the tiles to fall off the backing (mdf) Only problem we had with tiles was the grouting, which used to come out in places during transport, but advised the individual stores to get someone to touch up the grout in store. One of the only major problems we had was one display sent to a store in NI. The chap who built the display, forgot to screw the built in oven in to the carcase. The display arrived there with the oven in bits. :p:p:p:p:p:p