No nonsense sealant remover - upvc foil safe?

Discussion in 'Screwfix' started by Achillea, Oct 25, 2015.

1. Achillea

Achillea New Member

Hi
    My builder has done a terrible job applying sealant to the external upvc conservatory frame (Anthractite). I want to remove the excess sealant and redo the job properly. I've bought a pot of the Non Nonsense Sealant remover but wondering if this was going to damage the foil wrap?

Any thoughts?

Many thanks

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Shoudn't do, as I think it's non solvent, try it on a small out of sight area first.

3. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

4. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

I would first try to scrape/cut it off. Some of these removers can make the stuff gungy and can end up making more mess of things like masonry(bit like sticky tar).
    If it's the brickwork joint, I would first try to slice up behind the silicone on the conservatory, then the brickwork.
    Start at one end(top or bottom), and with a sharp chisel nice and flat against the frame, slice behind the silicone for about 6 inches. Then with an old chisel, start to rub behind the wall seal. Once started, gently tug to pull the silicone away, while scraping more behind the wall seal.

If it's coming away with that method, slice more at the frame and then the wall again.

If you are failing, think again.(Back to plan A?)

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

5. Achillea

Achillea New Member

Thanks for all the suggestions. The remover didn't seem to damage the foil although maybe it's taken a bit of shine off the surface. It did make it gungy and messy and there was too much sealant so I just used a Stanley knife and sealant scraper. Took hours to trim back and not a neat job but I'll run a new line over the top to even it out.