No power to electric shower

Discussion in 'Getting Started FAQ' started by Stratsmyboy, Apr 24, 2017.

1. Stratsmyboy

Stratsmyboy New Member

Hi after presuming our last shower stopped working we bought a new one. It was a case of simply fitting it as it was almost like for like with the old one. After checking there wasnt any leaks i turned on the power. The red light comes on to the pull cord but none to the shower. When i first tried it the power light did flicker for a second but not again. I expected to my fuse tripped as was the case with my old one but it hadnt this time. So, no powrr to shower but i presume the pull cords ok as the lights fine. Any help would be appreciated.

2. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

You need a voltage tester to check the supply to the switch, then from the other 'on' side of the switch after switching on. Be careful!

3. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

Sounds like switch issue turn off power test continuity across switch

4. Stratsmyboy

Stratsmyboy New Member

Hi thanks. Sorry im a novice. You mean the switch in the shower unit itself?

5. spen123

spen123 Screwfix Select

No your pull cord. You will have a supply and load side.

6. Turn off the supply at the CU and then check the shower switch's (pull cord or whateves) terminals. Fair chance you'll find signs of overheating on one of them.

If you are lucky, you'll chust find a loose terminal screw.

(Remind us - the red light on the pull switch only came on after you switched it to 'on'?)

7. Stratsmyboy

Stratsmyboy New Member

Hi the red light comes on when switched on and goes off when is switched off as per usual.

8. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

You need to do this ----^ Check the voltage on the "load" side of the switch with the switched turned on.

Be careful.

9. Stratsmyboy

Stratsmyboy New Member

Forgot pick up a voltage tester from work today but did notice the two green wires inside the pull cord switch were both loose. Would this affect it or are they "just earth cables"?

10. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Earth cables are there for your safety, so connect them. It might be that the shower unit checks for earth continuity somehow (230V between live and earth) before switching the power on properly. As a design feature it would make sense given that we're potentially mixing water and electricity - a lethal combination.

11. Stratsmyboy

Stratsmyboy New Member

Hi thanks i certainly will. Speaking to someone today they asked if the shower had water in before i turned on the power. I really dont think it did. Would this affect it? Looking at the terminals inside the pull cord i cant see any signs of burning or loose wires other than the earth.

12. Tony C

Tony C New Member

Do you know who installed the previous ? Is the shower linked to independent 40 / 50 amp feed, is the cable supply 6mm. The exponential bonding is secondary but required by Regs, the water is not a factor to electrical installations. Get back to me, I'll give qualified answers.