No power to Mira shower

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Swanswood, Feb 25, 2017.

1. Swanswood

Swanswood Member

hi all, newbie here after some advice.

Last weekend my partner decided she would decorate the bathroom and paint it white, spruce it up a bit. Anyway, she wanted to put new knobs on the pull cords for the shower and light. She cut the string right at the top and the only way I could replace it was to open up the boxes and attach the cord again. Luckily the shower had been kept on so I did the light switch last weekend and decided to tackle the shower switch today. Turned all electrics off as I am no elctrician but feel competent enough to tackle most jobs around the home. Hooked up the new cord and put it all back together however now the shower isn't working. When pulling on the cord the light comes on the main power box but there is no light coming on the shower unit. Before I call in the big boys is there something I may have missed?

Thanks in advance

2. fire

fire Well-Known Member

Sounds like when you removed the switch you have loosened one of the connections in the terminals of the switch.
    Double check all wires are tight and securely fastened into their terminals.
    Double check your work...

It is also not uncommon for the pullcord switch to fail due to the fact is barely ever operated so the switch could be faulty.

3. Swanswood

Swanswood Member

Thanks for the prompt reply. I have taken it apart again and all wires are tight and connected as should be. I've no time to go out and get another switch so have ordered one online.

fire likes this.
  4. The fact that the neon on the switch comes on and orf with that switch says you've connected the switch the right way around, and not back to front ('supply' and 'load' - surprisingly common...)

So fair chance you've done summat like trap the shower wire by its plastic sleeving in the terminal?

Or.... faulty switch.

5. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

Not been funny but new switch is around £10 max I would buy new one saves fannying about

6. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

It's very unlikely to be the new switch.
    You'd be better off buying a test meter for £6 and finding out how you have made the mistake.

7. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

Think his switch was old, op just dismantled it but agree with your sentiments still say buying new switch is easier