No pressure boiler

Discussion in 'Getting Started FAQ' started by Jomo66, May 14, 2017.

1. Jomo66

Jomo66 New Member

hi yesterday I had a radiator changed, the boiler Worcester combo was turned off. Turned back on no pressure at all, turned the water inlet on and the water gushed out the plastic pipe outside. Any advice would be appreciated

2. Who changed the rad? You or a 'pro'?

Were the rad valves changed too, or were they simply turned orf, an identical new rad fitted, and the valves reopened?

In which case the procedure should have been to reopen the valves, open the bleed screw, refill the rad - and keep topping up the system whenever the pressure gauge dropped right down. This is done in stages - you want to top up the system to around 1 bar or slightly over, and then keep bleeding the rad until water comes out. Top-up, bleed. Top-up, bleed.

When the rad is full, you do a final retop to around 1 to 1.2 bar. Under normal circumstances you don't want the final pressure to be much more than that - if it is, you can release some using - yes - the bleed screw again.

So, what happened here? I suspect that some ham-fisted twit (oops, sorry if that was you...) opened the fill tap too far and allowed the system pressure to go up to the safety limit of 3 bar, whereupon the PRV opened and dumped the excess oot that pipe.

That's chust a guess - the most likely scenario.

One point, tho' - can you double-check that pipe the water is coming oot of; it shouldn't be plastic, but copper.

And it should be 15mm (usually). And pointing down close to the ground. Or slight curved back towards the wall.

Is it?

3. Jomo66

Jomo66 New Member

The rad was changed by a handy man, he changed the valves as well on the radiator he changed, also a couple of other radiator valves. He did bleed the radiators but I did not watch what he did with the boiler, so when it did not work he said maybe the pressure valve had broken and now I have no boiler. The pipe is white plastic facing close to the ground outside

4. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

Sounds like you PRV s faulty. It's a pressure release valve . Sounds like he may have opened it to release pressure. They are prone to failure. Get a heating engineer in, they will sort it. Have you paid the "handyman, yet?

5. Jomo66

Jomo66 New Member

Thank you yes I'm going to get an engineer and yes I paid him

6. Any chance of a photo of that white plastic pipe? Any ideas what size it is - 15 or 22mm? And is there a smaller copper pipe near it which also comes out from the house?

Is you boiler a modern 'condensing' type? If that water is genuinely coming out a 22mm plastic pipe - which indicates the condensate pipe - then you may have a burst exchanger...

Worcester boilers went through a bad patch with these, but the company is usually pretty good at sorting it out - if a little pressure is applied.

Any idea how old the boiler is? And what exact model is it?

7. Jomo66

Jomo66 New Member

8. Jomo66

Jomo66 New Member

I don't know how old the boiler is and it's s worcester mt10 and actually now I've looked st the pipe your right it is copper painted white don't know about the size though and I can't upload a pic but I'll try again thanks

9. If it's copper, then chances are it is the safety discharge pipe, so a relatively small issue - most likely your PRV isn't shutting properly.

Your GasSafe will sort it.

10. Jomo66

Jomo66 New Member

Good news I've got an engineer coming tomorrow I'll let you know the verdict

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  11. Jomo66

Jomo66 New Member

boiler fixed by bosch engineer, apparently whoever installed the boiler put the prv and expansion vessel the wrong way round, sounds a bit unsafe but thankfully its fixed