No sandwiches today.

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by joiner1959, Nov 27, 2014.

1. joiner1959

joiner1959 Active Member

Had a call from an elderly lady last night telling me that her diy neighbour had broken the key to the front door in the back door lock. Went today for a look. Eventually managed to get the broken key out, removed lock, reset tumblers, cleaned, greased and re fitted. As I was passing anyway I said there would be no charge. Well at least have a cup of tea she says. Tea in a china pot with cups and saucers, home made soda and fruit scones and a bit of Victoria sponge that would have choked a horse.
    Was like being back at my Grannies.:)

2. plumberboy

plumberboy Well-Known Member

The good old days.;)

3. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Bless 'em they make up for all the miserable young 'uns:)

plumberboy likes this.
  4. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Some folks are like that. One couple I do work for quite regularly, have the kettle on the minute I arrive. At dinner time they make sandwiches, or go to the chippy. They just can't do enough, then have the cheek to offer me money when I've done. :eek::eek::eek: Last job I did for them I'd priced at £50 , for around 3 hrs work. Chap gave me £70, so I gave him £20 back telling him that was too much, but he insisted saying he'd feel offended if I didn't take it. ;);)

5. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

these are soon to be a lost civilization, home cooked scones,cakes and bread, not from ready mix packets will soon disappear as these oldies die off, I've had the pleasure of these offerings quite a few times and its something to behold, the smell of the cooking from the oven on its own is a delight, but also the presentation usually on a plate with butter,jam and a china cup and saucer,something that sticks in your memory forever,
    you yung uns will never know of the experiance, :(

6. And then you work for some people who don't even offer you a glass of water in the middle of the summer

FatHands likes this.
  7. Harry Stottle

Harry Stottle Screwfix Select

My Mum had a bricklayer to build a garden wall, he came along to measure up and arranged for the materials to be delivered. On the day he started work Mum made him one of her lovely meat and potato pies for lunch, he said "no thanks I'd prefer to get fish and chips", so off he went to the chippy. When he got back Mum had made him a pot of tea, but he didn't want any tea so she asked him if he wanted a wash before lunch but he didn't want that either. He sat on the step and ate his fish and chips with cement covered hands and fingers, same next day and the day after. He was a good bricklayer though, did a nice job.

8. joiner1959

joiner1959 Active Member

I had a labourer at one time who would do the same. Never ate or drank anything he didn't bring himself. Every day was the same, 2 cold pies and a bottle of limeade first thing in the morning and a packet of Gypsy Creams at lunch time. Best labourer I ever had. Had to learn some sign language as he was a deaf mute.

9. flateric

flateric Well-Known Member

I assume with that diet he is now a dead mute [​IMG]

10. flateric

Ok the other end of the scale....... You knock on the door......... they open it...........and the stench blows your wig off [​IMG]

11. plumberboy

:D

12. flateric

I got a call to a restaurant Saturday afternoon working in the kitchen area, if you put a tool down it sank into the grease you then needed another tool to rescue the first one. But on the plus side as my mate pointed out the food here must be good....... as 30,000 bluebottles can't be wrong [​IMG]

metrokitchens and plumberboy like this.
  13. plumberboy

And your tools won't go rusty flats.:)

14. flateric

True pb .............. But I can't put them down :D they just dangle on a nasty sticky web of well aged evil smelly gel :D

15. plumberboy

You wouldn't take the missus there for a meal then flats.:confused::)

16. flateric

I have been in a few where the maggots were marching around holding banners demanding better working conditions, even the rats and mice were waiting for someone to open the door so they could leave.

17. plumberboy

I know what you mean flats,I've worked in some right **** holes over the years,the worst thing is when they bring you a bit of cake and a cup of tea and then stand there talking to you and all your thinking is bugger off!! So you can bin the lot.:eek:

18. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

I fitted a water heater to a pizza place in Wigan a couple of years ago, that shop's been running for at least 5 years that I know without any means of washing in hot water, urrrkkk,

19. plumberboy

20. flateric

[​IMG]