No shut off valve on tap pipes

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Dexterwolf, Oct 21, 2016.

1. Dexterwolf

Dexterwolf Member

My taps upstairs not have a shut off valve to turn the water off to them. So if I want to fix a dripping tap what is the best way to go about this?. I presume I have to turn the stop tap and drain the system down but that seems over kill to change the tap.

2. What sort of system do you have?

If it's a combi boiler type, then chust shut off the mains stopcock - jobbie jobbed. The water - both hot and cold - will stop pretty much instantly.

If it's a vented system with storage tanks in t'loft, then to shut off the cold there should be a gate valve/stopcock leaving the large cold tank near its bottom. If it's the hot you want to shut offski, then there should be a gate valve/stopcock fitted on the pipe that enters your hot cyslinder a round 3 2 up from the floor (ish).

With the hot water in particular, the flow might take a few seconds to stop after it's been turned off. And don't be surprised if it still drips/trickles continuously... :oops:

So have towels and a container handy.

3. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

suprisingly water regs far as i know dont require valves on taps , only things that fill automatically, ie cisterns.

4. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Once you get the water turned off,probably worth fitting ISO valves to hot and cold to taps for any future maintenance issues

If connected by flexis, you can buy these with built in ISO valves, even easier

Bear in mind cold to basin could always be mains fed - occasionally

KIAB likes this.