No "suck" through the fan

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by samtomcharlie, Jul 19, 2016.

1. samtomcharlie

samtomcharlie New Member

I have recently fitted a new extraction system in our bathroom - above the shower to hopefully minimise condensation. - unfortunately not as well as I hoped
    I fitted an Manrose MF100T in the loft with about a metre of hose either side - one end into the ceiling above the shower - the other into the roof through a "mushroom"
    Still all the walls start to get wet after only a couple of minutes - the fan is set on high but doesn't seem to be sucking much - I have check all the pipework and there are no leaks I can see or feel
    I am wondering if the flow is being restricted by either the Mushroom on the roof or the Diffuser above the shower - the diffuser is Manrose FD 4DIF - or at least it looks like that. any ideas?

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I usually tape joints with alumimum tape.

The Manrose FD 4DIF has a adjustable centre disc.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2016
  3. Hi Sam. Or Tom. Or y'know.

That fan should be reasonably effective.

Not sure why you have that 'diffuser', tho' - a Google suggests it has a removable grease filter and is really designed for kitchens and stuff?

So that would be my main suspicion for lack of suck.

If you have good access to the loft, you could always disconnect the pipe from the mushroom to see if that imporves flow - so you can remove that from the list of possibilities.

But I think I'd be looking at fitting a simple grill above the shower - second one down https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/BGCF400HP.html

(Assuming you've checked that the flexi dusting hasn't folded over on itself?)

4. samtomcharlie

samtomcharlie New Member

Thanks - pretty sure it hasn't folded as it hasn't much opportunity - will star pulling it apart to see what the relative flows are - be doing this tonite so will let you know tomorrow

5. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

easy way to test for suck, is to put a sheet of A4 paper upto the grille int bathroom, if ok it will stay on grille

FatHands likes this.
  6. samtomcharlie

samtomcharlie New Member

Hello All
    Did the paper test last night and it would pick up the paper before any changes at a distance of about 1" - took out the diffuser and it picks up at about 4"
    As the weather is so hot I guess the atmosphere is holding more water and the room in general is warmer (and we are running showers colder) but initially looks a lot more successful as we ran for 20 mins of showers last night with no condensation
    Thanks for the help

7. The difference between picking up that sheet at 1" and 4" is HUGE!

Way more than 4 times as effective - 'cos the further from the inlet you go, the far greater the area you are 'sucking' from.

I can't see why that 'filter' diffuser should be in a shower room - it's surely designed for kitchens etc?

Surely the least flow resistance the better - so a simple round open grill is best.

8. samtomcharlie

samtomcharlie New Member

I agree - we live and learn - I have today - hopefully someone else may also learn from this - maybe even the Diffuser or grille manufacturers could put max flowrate on their products as I spent a good couple of hours trying to find the info to confirm the issue prior to putting up the post - Thanks for the help

9. Ah - I actually got that 'diffuser' wrong before. When I Googled, it came up with a square finely-grilled things with a built in grease filter! Ooops - sorry.

So, the one that was fitted is round but with a large solid disc in the centre? Looks bad enough - why the large disc?! :rolleyes:

10. samtomcharlie

samtomcharlie New Member

Yep the one with the big disc in the centre was the culprit - decided upon so you can't see the big silver tube inside - didn't think it would effect flow to such a degree - lack of data - and also lack of thought

11. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

just reread your post.You will still get some condensation formimng on the walls, fans arent going to remove all of it!

12. No, but if it keeps running on the timer for a good 10 minutes+, the through-draught will shift it all.

Doors and/or window should be open a bit too for this - allow a good flow in.

13. 14th edition

14th edition Well-Known Member

In general Manrose axial fans are only good to go through a wall, stick any ducting on and performance falls away. I fit the Greenwood SF9T which will do 10mts at 1l/sec. But they are 60 squids each and not 15 for Manrose!

KIAB likes this.
  14. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Did fir an inline fan, a lot more air flow than standard exial fans.

Test would be in mid winter when walls will be cooler, the air would be a lot heavier.

Might not solve condensation.