Noggins - floor joists

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by mo786, Mar 13, 2015.

1. mo786

mo786 New Member

My old floor joists had to be replaced - the new ones are in with noggins in the centre (I think for the span 1 is technically OK) - there is also a line where the joists go into the steel on one end.

On the other end the joists go into the blockwork - there are no noggins on this end.

If we have the timber available is there such a thing as putting in too many noggins?

I was going to ask for noggins to be put in at the block end (so effectivley on a 3.5 metre spans 3 noggins.

In some areas such as where the bath will be is there any harm (or idneed shoudl I ask) for a couple of noggins udner that area.

I know know noggins are there to stop twisting - I don't suppose they offer any weight distribution? that said if you have them udner a bath it must help in supporting it.

2. Gatt

Gatt Active Member

Put them in at both ends and middle , just cut a bit of thick ply or chipboard flooring about 8 inches longer than the feet of the bath , to help spread the weight .

FatHands likes this.
  3. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

At the block wall end the blocks act as the noggins, think about it.

Sure you could put them in but it would be a bit like washing your car and then taking it to the car wash

4. dwlondon

dwlondon Active Member

The floor is a total thing, designed to be such that it supports all the likely load and use in its lifetime. It would take something out of the ordinary to break up the entire structure or even put pressure on a specific area of the floor. ie you would have to take the roof off the house and helicopter in a sherman tank onto the floor to see it collapse.

I would put in extra noggins if I wanted to be sure of an extra tight and firm fix. but its also sods law that more noggins could get in the way of subsequent wire and pipe work.

5. mo786

mo786 New Member

Its just a belt and braces approach.

I will only have one chance to do it and as they are noggins made of joist offcuts they are fell depth so even the odd hole for services shouldn't affect their overall strength.

6. wuddy

wuddy Member

Waste of time putting them next to the blocks, If you want to add them put them further in to divide the span into 3