noise in cold water pipes

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by forshall, Sep 12, 2011.

1. forshall

forshall New Member

hi all, i have a gravity fed cold water system, supplying my bath, sink and toilet, the kitchen sink is off the mains. Recently when i flush the toilet i am getting a loud humming noise coming from the cold water pipes, and can feel them vibrating. If i turn on, then off ether the cold from the sink or bath, this tends to stop the noise. the pressure is poor also. Im guessing this is an air lock? is there an easy fix?

2. isolated

isolated New Member

has the pressure got worse? if it has and it is an air lock attach a hose pipe to the kitchen or an outside mains fed tap, run it to the bath tap, open the bath tap then open the mains tap and let it run for a minute, if possible have sumone in the loft to make sure the water level doesn't rise to much, then turn off the mains tap followed by the other tap. You are forcing the air back up into the tank in the loft. As for the vibrating try buying some pipe clips

3. WallPlug

WallPlug New Member

If your ball valve has an isolating valve adjacent to it you could try opening or closing it a bit to see if that affects the humming. Otherwise change the ball valve.

4. proff

proff New Member

Probably the Float Vave. When the diaphram/seal gets a bit tired it acts as an ocilator and sends vibrations through the water. ;)

5. forshall

forshall New Member

the float valve in the toilet? it does sound loudest at the point of the cistern thb

6. proff

proff New Member

Yes, the ball cock/ball valve/ float valve in the toilet cistern. It is a common problem and my customers were always suprised at athe cause.  ;)