Noise through double glazed windows

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by Katniss47, Feb 26, 2016.

1. Katniss47

Katniss47 New Member

Fairly recently, we had our upstairs double glazed Windows replaced. Since having them done, we feel that the noise coming into the rooms is greater now than it was with the old windows. We contacted the company that fitted them and they did some adjustments, but it didn't solve the problem to our satisfaction. After trying to contact the company again we gave up as they obviously had no interest in what we felt was a problem.
    We have since contacted the manufacturer of the windows. They found an issue with some of the fitting, which has improved the problem to some extent. However, we are now doubting the quality of all the fitting.
    We live on a main road and are now considering acoustic glass, but before we spend out more money, we would like the fitting of our existing windows checked, including under the trims internally and externally etc, as so far no one has looked into this.
    However, finding someone to do this is proving almost impossible. Any suggestions would be really helpful.
    Btw the existing windows do not have trickle vents.

2. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Do you know what the unit thickness is?

The unit in a double glazed unit is made up of 2 x outer panes of 4mm each, then there is the cavity. The overall unit thickness is the combination of all these together.

Triple glazing is available, but don't have experience of this :(

3. Katniss47

Katniss47 New Member

Not sure re thickness. We have thought of triple glazing, but so frustrating as we thought new Windows would be better than the old ones!

4. They should be better than your originals.

If there is the tiniest gap betwixt the opener and the frame, sound will come tearing through. And if the fitting company carried out some 'adjustments', then I suspect poorly-fitting 'openers' may have been the issue.

In which case that is pants. They should have been left with you spot-on.

And then the manufacturer came out and also found further 'issues'? What did they do to sort this?

So, (1) what was 'adjusted' with the initial visit? And (2) what issues did the manufacturer then find? (And who then sorted them?)

Based on this, we may have some idea where you stand.

(I suspect that 'acoustic glass' and all that malarkey will make little additional difference. If you have half-decent quality D/G windows fitted properly, that'll make a HUGE difference to sound blocking. Everything else - triple-glazing, acoustic glass, etc - will make relatively little additional benefit. We had new bay windows fitted around 6 months ago. Nothing fancy, just 'normal' quality. The improvement in the soundproofing from the road outside over the old D/G windows was astonishing. Closing the two openers is like stuffing your ears with cotton wool. Obviously if your road is closer to your house, it may benefit you to have better windows still, but what you have now should make a massive difference, and imo should be FAR superior to your old units. Or else something is wrong - which it clearly is since two groups have said so.)

5. Katniss47

Katniss47 New Member

The original fitters found that the frames had pulled out of position so this as adjusted and had a slight improvement.
    The manufacturers later found gaps around some of the frames, under the internal trimming, which he sealed.

6. Tiny01

Tiny01 Member

Any expanding foam used round the perimeter as a void filler / backer for the trim & sealant do you know ?

7. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Sound will get through any gap.

8. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Apart from poorly sealed perimeters. one of the biggest sound inputs come from where an internal cladding trim crosses/covers an open cavity, usually when a proper cavity closer has not been used. Do you have a wide trim like that?
    Of course it could be just really cheap frame material thickness.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

9. Katniss47

Katniss47 New Member

Tiny01, that's what we want to find out ie was a void filler used??

10. If some frames had pulled out of position, then that is very poor. And it may have led (or have even partially been the cause) to the frames being slightly twisted, so the openers don't sit perfectly 'flat' in their openings. This leads to wee gaps in t'corners of the openers = sound.

(Sis in law's new house - around 8 years old - has a window upstairs which has a whopping 3mm gap around the opener, which the previous occupants had added an extra stick-on foam seal to the existing seal. I'm still trying to work out what kind of adjustment will sort it :( )

Katniss (you're my heroine, by the way...) I suspect you'll need to get an independent surveyor in to assess these windows. They must have equipment that detect sounds levels - perhaps by taking reads outside the window and inside simultaneously? That should give an indication of whether they are sound-proofing to a 'normal' standard.

Sadly, even tho' the original company sound incompetent, if the installation errors discovered by themselves and then the manufacturers have now been 'fixed', you may not have a claim simply because they 'have' fixed them - unless you can prove it still isn't good enough.

I can't see any way to prove this than with an independent surveyor. And I don't know where to start there, I'm afraid. Perhaps your local 'Tradings Standards' can suggest the way forward?