Noisey Valve - Help!

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by GregStarz, May 20, 2015.

1. GregStarz

GregStarz New Member

Hi everyone,

Recently my overflow tank in my loft was leaking outside (minimal) but after looking at the valve and ball I thought I'd replace it as it looked naff and old.

Anyway, all was good and I purchased a new high pressure valve which worked well.... I noticed after this that there was a large hissing noise running through the pipes everytime the taps were used in the bathroom. I went upstairs and checked the tank and I noticed it's doing it when it refills the tank, basically the new valve is noisy, very noisy!

Any ideas on what I can do?

2. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

you've probly bought a toilet fill valve, you need a part 2 ballvalve,

Dave does Gas likes this.
  3. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

Common error, and then you will find the arms have been bent to reduce the water height instead of fitting the part 2 with the factory bent arm.

4. GregStarz

GregStarz New Member

Hi all,

After having a baby and deciding I now need to sort this out I got a new valve/arm from wickes (high pressure as per my plumber) and I've just finished fitting it and the noise is still too bloody noisy, the noise shoots through the system and appears to be very noisy in my airing cupboard which is based in my bedroom with the tank.

Does anyone have any ideas as it was fine before, am I missing something? Is my plumber wrong and perhaps it should be low pressure?

Any help highly appreciated as I'm now on my 3rd valve/arm and still have the problem!

5. Dave does Gas

What pressure is your incoming main?

6. GregStarz

GregStarz New Member

I'm not sure, how do I find this out?

7. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Get a plumber in?

8. Dave does Gas

If you have a pressure gauge attach it to your first tap in line, or an outside tap if its liable to leak, If you don't have one Chippies suggestion is probably the best.
    Maybe if you had done it in the first instance you wouldn't be out of pocket with the wrong parts and no guarantee on a satisfactory fix.