Noisy building work

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by facilities, Nov 29, 2016.

1. facilities

facilities Guest

Hi all, I would be grateful for your advise/opinion, I have recently engaged a builder to build a ground floor extension to our semi detached bungalow, into which we have recently moved in, the size of the extension was such that no planning permission was required, just building regs to satisfy, our neighbour has kicked off big time about the noise during the excavation for the footings, and during my absence (out shopping for a couple of hours) they asked the builders to stop work as the noise was more than they can bear, I have given them plenty of advance warning of the disruption and the worst will be over in 2 or 3 days weather depending, I have also made it clear that our shared fence will be renewed whether or not it is damaged by the build, at the moment it is rotten and ready to fall down, the builders are starting after 09.00 and are finished before 16.00 and don't work Sat or Sun, anyone know the legal position on this?

2. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Tell the builders to use no power tools, or hammers or heavy digging equipment. Only soft rubber tools to be used! :p

3. facilities

facilities Guest

Knew I could rely on you KP why didn't I think of that?

4. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

You're being very reasonable with the working hours etc etc.

Just turn the site radio up and tell your neighbour to **** off! :cool:

Joe95 likes this.
  5. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

New development at the back of my house went on for over a year. Machines plant and excavator started about 7.30am. Some deliveries were arrivingg 6.30am, but didnt unload until 7.

6. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

Glad I'm not the only one who's done it when someone complains I'm noisy! :D

The idea is, if the radio is loud enough I cant here them complaining!

Cor sometimes I wonder if I'm an ahole:oops:

Last edited: Nov 29, 2016
    CGN likes this.
  7. There really is no alternative is there? So they have to suck it up.

And, it's only for a few days - many people have to live alongside major builds for months or more.

You've given them notice. It's the sort of thing we all have to put up with now and then. So, are they being unreasonable? Yes.

What to do? Well, don't stop working or else it'll chust delay it further. Tell your builders not to stop - their hours are already very considerate.

But, at the same time be apologetic to your neighbs - explain you wish there was an alternative, but there simply isn't. Remind them they will get a new fence out of it. Remind them it'll only take another couple of days.

If it's worth it to you, give them £50 to have a day out - even if it's a meal at the local pub.

Or else buy them a nice bottle of summat when it's all over. Even if they've bi***ed about it and don't really deserve it. In the scheme of things it's small money, and it will show who's the a'ole and who is normal.

Sheeesh - if people are so insular that they cannot think of a way of going out for a day, then f'em.

(Er, they are not old and infirm, are they...?)

KIAB and Joe95 like this.
  8. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Kill them with kindness...that's what I usually do, but as DA says, stand your ground. You shouldn't tiptoe around when you've been very reasonable...it costs time and money, and they'll still moan anyway.

Deleted member 33931 and KIAB like this.
  9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Your being generous with the working hours & they got the audacity to complain.:eek:

10. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

They're just jealous Kiab. Usually get a feel quite quickly if neighbours are going to be a PITA.

11. BMC2000

BMC2000 Screwfix Select

I've one like that. the more you engage, the more they want.

Unreasonable selfish people can't be placated without grinding you to a standstill.

Crack on with your reasonable way of doing things.

12. Neil1987

Neil1987 Member

No noise before 8am or after 11pm that's my understanding i always get the night shifters or junkies

13. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Had experience of it a few times over the years.

Did one job years ago, laying concrete floors in a old farmhouse, nearest neighbour was about 4 miles away, they sent police around when I starting laying concrete at 5am.:eek:
    Police were very good about it, yet, when we drove over to their house, I couldn't even hear the mixer, only the noise from the nearby road, as could the copper.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2016
    CGN likes this.
  14. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Jealous neighbour syndrome is a terrible thing, but unfortunately a fact of our lives, just be polite but firm, you are carrying on with the build whether they like it or not.

CGN and Joe95 like this.
  15. I'd bet you my very last penny that they are...

Brexiters. :)

Deleted member 164349, Joe95 and KIAB like this.
  16. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Apologise through gritted teeth for the inconvenience but stress that you have given them plenty of notice and that the builders are complying with environmental health noise laws, and ultimately they are going to go ahead, so tough shxt. Also remind them you're footing (ha ha) the bill for the shared fence as well, so I think you're being a far better neighbour than I would be in that situation.

Just make sure there's nothing your builders need to touch of theirs in order to build yours, otherwise they're going to be tossers about it. Best of luck.

17. facilities

facilities Guest

Ha Ha, I'm not getting into that! Thanks all for the positive comments, I have prided myself over the years on being a good and tolerant neighbour, and was taken aback, with their attitude, and yes DA I did offer this person a meal out with my wife and myself on completion of the work, (wish I hadn't now) I will tell the builder in the morning not to engage with her but to give me a shout, and I will explain that sorry about the noise but the work will carry on, I have decided to cancel any trips to the shops or elsewhere (I'm retired now) while the digging out for the footings are being carried out,

18. You've offered them a meal out with you...?

Man, you're a glutton for punishment :(

Best slip 'em a few notes now and tell them to go oot and have a break from the hellish noise you are subjecting them to...

Deleted member 164349 likes this.
  19. on normal weekdays I think its 8 til 8, but 9 til 6 on weekend or bank holidays. But might be wrong, check with council?

If you gave them notice, and have building regs complied with, its them who are in the wrong, not you.

I would apologise, even though it hurts, but insist you are keeping disturbance to minimum, are sorting fence at the end,a dn if they not happy they should consult the council etc. But also remind them that if they try to stop the builders again, you will have no option but to give them the bill for the builders time that is being delayed.

Stand your ground, firm but polite, but full of the apologies for the noise.

20. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Ask them if they would rather the noise during the day or the night!!