Noisy Particle Board Flooring - how do I fix it?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by robdedom, Jun 7, 2015.

1. robdedom

robdedom New Member

I live in a new build house, les than 3 years old. The flooring on the first floor is particle boards that are covered with carpet. 2 of the rooms have creaking floor boards. I lifted the carpet, removed the screws and put new screws in that were larger (4.6 x 64 mm). The floor boards are tongue and groove chipboard approx 2.4 x 600mm. They are laid on 9 x 3 inch hardwood floor joists. The room is approx. 5 x 5 mt.
    The boards are NOT glued down.

I am not sure what the cause of the noise is.?
    Its been suggested :
    a) they could be too tightly fitted
    b) the boards are not thick enough
    c) where the tongue and groove are butted together they should join over a joist BUT in my case they do NOT - so there is a weak point causing flex and therefore noise.

Any suggestions?

2. Big Dunk

Big Dunk Active Member

I am not sure what the cause of the noise is.?
    Its been suggested :
    a) they could be too tightly fitted possible but I doubt it, you would have remove the skirting to check
    b) the boards are not thick enough they come in 18mm and 22mm both which should be ok
    c) where the tongue and groove are butted together they should join over a joist BUT in my case they do NOT - so there is a weak point causing flex and therefore noise. This is how it is fitted, so there is no waste the strength is in the tongue and groove as long as the joints ate staggered.

Any suggestions?
    Firstly your joists won't be hardwood and I doubt they're 9x3, more likely 9x2 in a new build.
    The cause of the cause of the creaking is usually due to the joists shrinking after first fitting, the creaking is the flooring or plasterboard rubbing on the nails. If you have already screwed down the flooring then I would suggest that it is the plasterboard underneath that is causing the creaking, do you have any nail pops in the ceiling below? If so knock the nails in so it tightens the plasterboard back up against the joist then fill and paint. This will probably cure the creaking.

3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Nails!:eek:

Do peeps still use these nails for plasterboard, been years since I've used them.
    Just had to screwed the living, dinning & kitchen ceilings here, due the nails pulling through the boards in places.

Gatt, FatHands and chippie244 like this.
  4. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

The lack of glue is probably the problem, you can either lift and glue your floor or live with it.

FatHands and seen it all before like this.
  5. seen it all before

seen it all before Active Member

New houses are thrown up in weeks by site trades who have no care or comebacks when small things go wrong, as chippie said it's just the floor boards rubbing each other as there is no glue on the joints.

6. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Try spraying the noisy joints with furniture polish, give them a good spray so as it gets right into the joints, works wonders. :)

robdedom and FatHands like this.
  7. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Or talcum powder! Deja vu ?

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

Phil the Paver likes this.
  8. Big Dunk

Big Dunk Active Member

KIAB it's been years since I've used nails on ceilings myself but I have seen it done a few times recently, unfortunately.

9. robdedom

robdedom New Member

thanks, the plasterboard is screwed in. the joists are older re-cycled from the old house that was here. there are 2 walls from the original house the rest is new.

10. robdedom

robdedom New Member

yes, I agree. my other homes were always glued down

11. robdedom

robdedom New Member

i honestly cannot tell where the sound is from. its multiple places not just one spot