Noisy pipes!

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by damian_thegravy, Sep 28, 2016.

1. damian_thegravy

damian_thegravy New Member

Hi

I live in a block of flats and I'm on the 1st floor with one level above me, in the corner of my kitchen is a soil pipe that services my flat, the flat below and the flat above, when the flat upstairs uses water i can hear it crackling and making an awful noise.

So after having a bit of a tinker i found that the sink waste was pushed into the soil stack about 3 inches, so water from above was hitting it, I cut this down and this solved part of the problem and the noise is definitely quieter, but there is also a bath waste going into the stack and I think the same thing is happening but this has been glued into the boss/soil stack thing, any easy way of getting it out? or as its been welded is it there for good?

thanks in advance

cheers

Damian

2. Pink Panther

Pink Panther Member

Well done for sorting the first issue - there is another similar thread like that on here, and someone else found a similar issue ages ago - would never have occurred to me.

I suspect the solvented fitting doesn't go right in to the pipe as I think most have a 'stop' ridge inside so the inserted pipe 'bottoms out'.

Solvented fittings are very hard to undo, and usually involves risking a fair bit of damage...

I think some people try heating them up with a hot-air (paint stripper) gun - but go gently and don't distort the pipe or fittings. Don't expect heat to 'undo' the joint - it is effectively 'welded' together chemically - so you will still need to apply a strong turning force on the pipe before there's any chance it'll come out - if at all.

I guess an alternative is to cut the pipe a couple of inches from the socket so you can have a look in there to see if there's a 'sticking too far' issue in the first place. If there is, then take that solvent fitting apart and fit a new one afterwards, and if there isn't then simply reconnect the pipe using a compression socket (or solvent type).

If you can undo the boxing, then stuffing insulation in there (I guess loft-type is fine) will also help deaden the noise, but bear in mind that any open gaps in the boxing will allow sound to travel out easily.

3. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

A solvent joint will not have gone in too far as they have a definitive stop on the fitting.