Non-opening windows in pitched roof

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by greenmanx, Nov 24, 2006.

1. greenmanx

greenmanx New Member

I want to fit windows / skylights into a pitched, tiled, roof (single storey extension). I don't want to open the window so don't really feel the need to get Velux windows, as nice as they are.

My question is this - can you fit standard double glazed units into a pitched roof? Would they be watertight? Do i need a special type of double glazed window?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

2. Roofer

Roofer New Member

Is this a wind up?

Quote: can you fit standard double glazed units into a pitched roof? Of course not

Quote: Would they be watertight? Of course not

Quote: Do i need a special type of double glazed window? Of course you do.

A good manufacturer of roof windows is Velux - readily available from Builders Merchants

3. jasonb

jasonb New Member

You could use a form of patent glazing where the glass fits into glazing bars and the opening is trimed with the correct lead flashings etc but it would probably be more expensive than putting in Velux type windows.

Have a look at the roof windows that "Loft Shop" do as they are a lot les expensive than Velux ones.

Jason

4. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Is this a wind up?

Quote: can you fit standard double glazed units into
    a pitched roof? Of course not

<u>'Course you can.</u>

Quote: Would they be watertight? Of course
    not

<u>'Course they will.</u>

Quote: Do i need a special type of double glazed
    window? Of course you do.

<u>'Course you don't.</u>

A good manufacturer of roof windows is Velux -
    readily available from Builders Merchants

<u>Normal window, strengthened sealed unit(glass), E seals inside, proper drain-holes, sort your drain over at top and sides, under at bottom.</u>

Mr. HandyAndy - really

5. ted321

ted321 New Member

You can get skylights @ screwfix shop for £85, ok, they are only 450mm X 550m but they do the job letting light in. all on one unit, flashing included.
    Now you could fit a pain of glass in a tiled roof. But it would probarbly leek, unless you are a roofer and have plenty experience with how to make watertight.
    I once re tiled a roof which was once slated, the lady had glass in the old roof and didnt want to spend any money so asked me to put this in the tiled roof. I said it isnt wise but she insisted. IT is in, and watertight.
    But it looks a mess, and isnt ideal.
    So the moral of this brief story is, spend a bit more money, dont be tight, and get, at least the cheapest purpose made sky light for the roof.

6. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

How do the Loft Shop units compare in quality to Velux units?

I shall be needing 6 or so next year so am keen for any feedback please? :)

7. jasonb

jasonb New Member

I've only used the loft shop conservation ones so can't directly compare to standard pivoting Velux but would say the Velux are better finish. The ones I used were 10ft above floor level so no one will see them up close, would be different if they were in a loft conversion at head height.

Jason

8. Velux everytime for me!
    Have a good phone round for prices for them from different suppliers, I managed to save a packet even of the trade catalogue price.

9. Peat

Peat New Member

I recently put some long thin roof lights into my kitchen extension 1800 x 400mm. I just used glazing bars from a company called Barns glass. The glazing bars just screwed to the joists and the double gazed unit just popped in. The roofer moaned a bit as all he ever does these days is fit Veluxes - he had to remember back to his younger days and build a block gutter out of lead above it (it only took him 10 minutes, I think all the complaints were just to buy him time so that he could remember how to do it!!)

10. jason8081

jason8081 New Member

11. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Spaming posts that are 10.5 years old is desperate. :D:D:D

Especially by a company that's was only incorporated in April 2015.