non standard door

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Paul Mcconnell, Oct 19, 2016.

1. Paul Mcconnell

Paul Mcconnell New Member

Hi, Just a quick one to see if anyone can recommend somewhere to buy a 4 panel moulded door that is 1830 by 686?
    Been a while since I've dealt with a non standard size door and not sure where to buy them now.

2. Paul Mcconnell

To add. I am Manchester way. Cheers.

3. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Chop down a standard one?

4. dwlondon

dwlondon Active Member

get a door blank and a moulding kit to fake up the panelling

GoodwithWood likes this.
  5. GrahamTaylor

GrahamTaylor Active Member

That is a standard size door width (686mm is 2' 3" in old money) but short. You just need to reduce height. If it's a hollow panel door you will be exposing the internal 'egg box' structure so you will need to put in new wood into the top and bottom rails.

GoodwithWood likes this.
  6. Paul Mcconnell

Thanks for the responses. It was more the height I was worried about. I suppose I will just have to cut it down but I was worried about it being quite a lot to take off.
    I was just sure that a few years back I had managed to buy a non standard height door from somewhere.
    Thanks though

7. dwlondon

dwlondon Active Member

8. Cristina Meyer

Cristina Meyer New Member

Find out if you can find a solid panel door as this will help. To cut from 1981 to 1830 is quite a lot from standard panel door and the door will become flimsy.
    The best way is to get fd30 door which have a solid structure and cut it. Add beads on top of the door so it will look alike.
    hope that helps.

9. It's 'only' around 25mm off each end.

If cutting that much off the door exposes the 'hollow' internals, chust remove the solid timber batten from the bits you've cut orf and refit them inside the door - glue and clamp. (Provided the door still looks ok with 25mm removed - which I think it should)

Careful when trimming, tho'...

14732207_10207652013760050_282802983563647274_n.jpg

(I love it that people do things like that... :))

mr moose likes this.
  10. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Maths just isn't your strong point tonight DA. The OP is cutting a 1981mm door down to 1830mm. ;);)

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  11. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Just saw above post after I chipped in, my bad, no one likes a parrot.

12. :eek: Jeepers!

:)