Not happy with Dewalt kit I bought...

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by 14th edition, Nov 19, 2016.

1. 14th edition

14th edition Well-Known Member

Splashed out on a Dewalt, combo drill, impact driver and angle grinder [which I use a surprising amount!].
    The charger is really plasticy but the fitting of the battery on the angle grinder is poor. Its difficult to get off and feels cheap....[and it wasn't]. Then the impact driver packed up yesterday, trigger jammed.
    Not impressed!

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Never been impressed with Dewalt, Bosch,Makita for me.

3. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

The nailers are the only cordless kit i have brought from Dewalt, and i have to say, the batteries have a terrible fit onto the guns. The Makita 18V have the positive feel when you slide them in, no 'plasticy' feel.
    When i first went to charge the 5AH battery, it would only charge for about 30 seconds. I rang Dewalt and the fella on the phone told me 'push the battery down till it clicks' and then it started charging properly. I have never encountered such a poor quality charger, what design is 'slide and push', The Dewalt fella then told me it is a common problem with that charger (DCB115)...
    I am happy with the nailers, but that will be the extent of my Dewalt cordless kit.
    Saying that, for a £400 framing nailer, it has a 'plascticy' feel, i would not trust it at a 3 foot drop!

KIAB likes this.
  4. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

The only Dewalt item I've ever bought,was a 9" grinder that was on special offer, it was quite possibly the worst grinder I've ever owned, that includes a Argos own brand that I bought once, when I was desperate one evening after the normal shops had shut.

5. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

Saying that, i have owned the Makita 9" and that didn't last a year. I have that Evolution disk cutter, that's a bloody good bit of kit for a 'cheap' brand.
    Not a patch on the Sthil, but i was fed up of the petrol engine. I never used it that often, so it was always nightmare to start.

6. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Pack of screwdriver bits is all i have bought from Deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeewalt-disney.

Bosch Combi i bought, on recommendation from this fine forum, has been superb!

7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Got Makita 5" & 9" grinders had them years,both have had a hard life, both are brilliant, as is my Hitachi 9" grinder.
    A lot of my cordless kit is Bosch, combi drill, impact driver & latest purchase was a small Bosch GKS 18 V-L circular saw,a very handy tool to have.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2016
    Joe95 and Phil the Paver like this.
  8. Phil the Paver

I always stick to Hitachi now, best 9" grinders out there in my book.

9. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Are they better to use than floss?

10. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

Have you used the Bosch? I rate their 9".
    Never tried a Hitachi.

11. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

12. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Now't wrong with Bosch 9" grinders, old ones were bullet proof, new ones probably just as good.:)

13. Phil the Paver

No, got a Makita as well which is ok, but the Hitachi just seem to last, they are well balanced in use.

Joe95 likes this.
  14. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Joe95 likes this.
  15. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Didn't Ronald Reagan have one instead of a body guard?

16. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

You use one in each hand while on a tightrope?

17. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

My Hitachi sabre saw is another great tool,seem indestructible, used it to cut countless tree roots, got it off Freecycle some years ago.

18. Phil the Paver

Have you given up the booze tonight in favour of some marching powder. :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::D:D:D

19. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Sorry, never done drugs.

20. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

So you take so many of them you forget that you take them?